1. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Writing on demand?

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by Crazy Ivan, Mar 1, 2008.

I've gotten a reputation amongst my peers as the go-to guy for writing. If you want to make a movie with your friends (and an inordinate amount of kids want to do this), go to Ivan. So I've gotten into a habit of whipping something up for someone at a moment's notice. The product is never my best work, but it's apparently enough to keep people coming back.

Now, though, I seem to have faltered- some girls (eep) want me to write them a skit for our school's upcoming talent show. It needs to be done by Monday morning, and I haven't even started. It's mainly because the ideas they insist on having in the skit aren't...well, they aren't really that funny. But they're my friends, and they're deadset on doing the skit, which I can't bring myself to write, but I also can't tell them that I won't write it. Although this may seem like a specific scenario, I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, or has any advice...? Time is running out for me. >.<

2. floydianslip6

floydianslip6 New Member

To me the solution is simple... don't write it. I don't understand how you allow yourself to be the "go to writer" like that. It's one thing if it's something you want to do or help with, you know? But to start down the path of writing things you don't even like.... why?

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

You're right, this is a path I don't like starting down. But if you want to know why I'm writing this specific piece, it's because I already promised them I would do this, and I know being in the school production would mean a lot to them. I like standing up for myself. But I like not being a sleaze even more. And it would be pretty sleazy to call the whole thing off right now.

4. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

What would happen if you told them that their idea just wasn't any good?

5. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

If you're determined to do this, but you don't like their ideas, then maybe you could try and come up with something yourself, share that with them, and then hope that they like it? Its hard to write something that you just don't... feel.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

seems to me you have the following choices available:

tell them you're sorry you promised something you can't deliver and don't write it

tell them their idea doesn't get your creative juices flowing and write one that does

take your punishment for making a promise you shouldn't have, buckle down and write the damned thing, doing the best you can... if you're lucky, no one will notice it's awful, if it is...

love and comforting hugs, maia

7. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Thanks, MM, that's the kind of no-nonsense advice I needed...I think that, in a baffling mix of cowardice and fortitude, I'll go with option three.
    Thank you to everyone. I'll keep this in mind in case it comes in handy later...

8. missupernatural

missupernatural New Member

I know how you feel. Everybody comes to me to make their films for school assignments. It isn't the best situation to be in, considering it takes up so much of your time. At one stage I had three groups wanting me to help them, and I decided to turn down all three.

Next time someone wants you to write for them, ask them exactly what it is about and how much freedom you can have with creative input.

9. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Good luck with it.

10. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I'd personally do what kit said and try to come up with something better (more humorous, I guess).