1. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Novel Indian Novel writing as opposed to Western or English writings

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by dannyboy, Mar 11, 2014.

Hi All,

This post is out of complete curiosity, and everyone's views are very important to me as it is very helpful for me in my research for my novel on pilgrimage.

Note: Novels written by Indian Authors in English

Do you have a favourite Indian Novelist? What are the major differences found between Indian and English or American authors? (in terms of style, language, settings, sentiments, opening, and as many things you can come up with)

If you have read any Indian Novels in English, please allow me to understand in short why you like the novel and which parts of the novels caught your attention.

Your views are valuable, and thanks for all your response.

Many Thanks

Daniel

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I really liked The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. A lot of her work deals with Indian immigrants living in the US and how they deal with maintaining their culture in a foreign country. One of my biggest criticisms of Lahiri is that her work deals with the same subject matter over and over. It can feel a bit repetitive at times. Other than the subject matter and, to a certain extent, the language she uses, there isn't much difference between her and a lot of other modern writers.

My favorite Indian writer who writes in English is Salman Rushdie. Midnight's Children is an amazing novel. It's very well-written and engaging. If I had to pick the best Indian writer, it would be Rushdie (a purely subjective choice, of course).

dannyboy likes this.
  3. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Good choice, third wind and thanks for your inputs