Scrolls of Iria Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Fan7asticMrFox, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Newtonium

Newtonium Member

Personally, I reckon it's Crumpets who's a bit wacky :D

2. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

Good Morning.
    I've just posted my piece. Can't wait for everyone else's but I'll be away till 1pm GMT. Speak to you guys later.

3. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

GAME UPDATE
    Hey all! I am going to post game updates every now and then to keep us all in line with what is happening. This way the game will be more organised and it will enhance the experience.

So firstly; we have a lot of characters now! (And Keits will be joining soon as well, once we sort out some details.) I count 13 including Keits.

With that in mind I'm closing the game off to any other writers. We have a large amount of people so it will need to be managed carefully, and we all have to be appreciative of each others time. While the game has started strong, I am not going to rush it. I would rather everyone gets to post their actions and reactions etc. and have their fair share.

Because of this I would ask that all members become familiar with each other's characters. Take thirty minutes and review each character sheet one by one (links to all of the character sheets can be found here) and start thinking about the links each of them will have. Maybe they know each other. Maybe they have history together, or a rivalry. These things will all add character to the group, provide tension and maybe even some comedy (Crumpets...). Obviously if you have an idea in mind, PM the other person! Don't just expect them to know what you are thinking!

Something else I would like to mention is the collab posts. They are awesome, and we have had a few already so far! With that in mind I want to encourage you all to do collab posts, and more specifically do collab posts with writers you haven't worked with before. This way we all get to know each other a little better, understand each other's writing style, and allow all our characters to interact. I even challenge some of you to create a collab post with more than two people involved!

Now , where we are headed. Clearly the castle in on fire. Some would say that's not a good thing. Our latest member, Key, has stumbled upon a Lord Jaros, bleeding and alone in the cellar. While the red evil scours the castle for survivors, he has been left to die at the bottom of the Keep. However! He has some interesting revelations! And he knows the location of a secret passageway, that not even Malefius or James Breckenridge know about...

There's a little direction at least. If you plan on talking to Lord Jaros, please PM me first so that you don't step on my story toes!

And lastly, I will not progress the story until a fair amount of you have posted again. If you are unsure of what to write, either message here on the discussion thread or PM me. And @Newtonium and @Simpson17866, considering my last post I would be more than happy to do a collab with you both.

Thanks!

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Fox!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Arannir, Macaberz, Pheonix and 2 others like this.
  4. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

I'm around if anyone wants to collab. I'm kinda tied to Mac tho, so it's gonna be a threesome.

5. motormouth1312

motormouth1312 Member

@AnonyMouse Sorry I'm doing a collab with Tara, but a threesome sound cool,
    (JUST No you dirty perverts)
    May I ask all to raise their hands and say I If you are English?
    I (Raises hand)

6. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I speak english... I am however a native of Chicago Illinois, in the U.S. :(

7. AnonyMouse

I've reread all of the char sheets with an eye for details, and found some ways my char might be connected to some of the others. Let me know what you guys think:

@Arannir
    Your CS mentioned that Falco's wife, Haelga, is a shop owner. Do you think she and Serana knew one another, since they're both shopkeepers? Would she know Falco as well? If you'd like, I could have Serana deliver the news what Haelga is "dead."
    (I put it in quotes because that's probably what Serana would say, even though she didn't witness the woman die. The merchant quarter is such a wreck she would assume Haelga didn't make it and report her as dead, to give Falco some closure.)

@motormouth1312
    Your CS says Tyson used to hunt wild animals and sell the meat/hides/horns/whatever in town. Does he still do that? I'm asking because he and Serana might have some kind of business relationship; someone who journeys out into the wilderness would be perfect for collecting herbs and material for her "research." And, as a thief/pickpocket, he knows how to keep quiet about things. I don't think she'd tell him she practices 'magic;' all he'd know is she needs X and she's willing to pay Y amount for it.

@Pheonix
    I don't know if Lydia and Serana would know one another very well, but your CS says her father is a well-known blacksmith. A budding alchemist has to buy metal someplace, right? There's a possible connection thereā€¦

8. motormouth1312

motormouth1312 Member

@AnonyMouse Yes he still does that but the way the plot is heading they may be going onto a long quest to find out the cause of the beasts but I'm sure they could work something out.

9. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

I am going to study those cs's now, but what @AnonyMouse said, we are tied together for the time being so it would be a trio at the very least.

Also, perhaps we should think a bit about space consistency. The way I see it, the merchant's quarter is to the south of the city and the keep is in the center, sitting atop at least a few meters of jagged rock. The way I imagine it, it would be hard to scale, but since some servants would have to enter and exit the castle, I thought there might be a small door at the end of a small, winding path leading up to the keep.

I am not in anyway saying that that is how it is, but that's what I've been assuming so far.

@motormouth1312 Nay. I am not English, if you spot any awful mistakes with tense, please point them out to me because I do all my writing by instinct, not by an understanding of the grammatical rules.

10. AnonyMouse

@motormouth1312
    I know. I meant she may have worked with him in the past. That way, when they inevitably meet, they won't be total strangers, LOL. I didn't mean to imply he's working for her now or will be in the future. I'm just trying to lay down some backstory.

@Macaberz
    That's pretty much how I've been interpreting it as well, but not with the keep at the "center." Since Highguard is built into/on a mountain, I mentally pictured the keep as the summit and everything else situated along the south face. So, basically, the city is vertically oriented.

The keep and noble quarter are at/near the summit, highest point in the city
    Servants' quarters and lesser nobles are in the lower parts of the keep or just outside of it.
    The markets and "town" are just south of that, a little further down the slopes.
    The gates are near the base of the mountain (but still high enough to make enemy approach difficult).
    The fields, farmland, wilderness and such are at ground level, outside the gates.

I think we have the same idea, Mac, mine is just more of a semi-circle (using one face/side of the mountain) instead of an entire town wrapping around the mountain.

11. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Name: Annette

Race: Human

Appearance: 6', with long, wavy light brown hair that reveals traces of blond in strong sunlight. Eyes appear to be plain brown unless viewed from up close, where traces of grey and green can be seen around the pupil. Somewhat underweight for her height, but both can go unnoticed as she has a habit of slouching a tad to make herself appear smaller. Wears a plain white dress with a brown tunic tied over the top, along with leather vambraces. Vision appears unfocused at times as she has a habit of zoning out.

Background: Servant of the keep- and a well-behaved one at that. She has surprised others with her wisdom at times and is well educated despite her otherwise poor status. Most of the time she will end up resolving fights between the younger servants, and has become a well-trusted individual for keeping secrets as well as learning new things with a swift hand. She rarely loses her temper around others- and if mad will promptly leave the other person's presence. Does not make it a habit to make enemies, though some people tend to despise her just because of who she is and how she acts.

Class: Ranger

Class Type: Survivalist

Family History (optional): Unknown- was left at the keep as a small child, though her appearance gives the idea that she may be the descendant of a noble.

12. Keitsumah

crap i just realized that there r three guys within my char's age range.

*falls over laughing* okay, anyone find my char oddly familiar?

13. Macaberz

That was sort of my second interpretation of it. I'll roll with that.

@Keitsumah I have no idea what you're talking about ;P

I recommend you refrain from spoiling the beans to anyone else at this stage though, but it's your call.

14. Keitsumah

Okay so I guess my starting around the stables wouldn't be such a bad idea?

15. Macaberz

Not unless Annette has the mysterious desire to be turned into toast. Maybe she's at the servant's entrance of the keep? Because that's where Mordin, Thomas, Serena, William and that noblewoman are/are heading. PM?

16. Keitsumah

Sure, though I'm in math class ATM so I may blank at times lol

17. Macaberz

You mean you are sitting in Math class, but with your mind you are probably lost in the land of Hanavar :p

How dull. Math, I mean.

18. Keitsumah

Always, and actually I have to watch a podcast so.... Yeah I get away with a lot lol. I'll need to go back and read that one part thoug to get my mind strit as to what is going on better

19. Macaberz

Mordin and Thomas have no ties to James Breckenridge.

Mordin and Thomas might have a tie to Malefius. @Fan7asticMrFox , you say that Malefius was investigating the mysteries of the arcane across the land. He mightā€™ve met Thomas when Thomas lived secluded in the woods near/closest to Highguard. Perhaps he even brought Thomas into the castle for his extensive, and somewhat rare knowledge of plants and herbs. Malefius might therefore also be aware that Thomas took Mordin in, but I do not think the two of them would have any history beyond simple recognition.

Mordin and Thomas have no ties to Falcor.

Thomas has no ties to Tyson. @motormouth1312 whilst I donā€™t think that Tyson and Mordin would know each other, Tysonā€™s past could be vaguely related to Mordinā€™s past. In all honesty, I still have to flesh out Mordinā€™s past and so I canā€™t really tell what the connection, if any, would be. The local tavern being burned might be an event that I will tie into though, but I canā€™t say for sure.

Thomas might have a tie to Count Virmire. @Love to Write Thomas, having been part of a band of travelling druids mightā€™ve resided/camped on Count Virmireā€™s terrain in some distant past. You mention that Count Virmire was helping the Kingdom with his wealth which would tie in well to the druidā€™s (original) purpose of helping people as well. Young Nikko might remember having seen the druids on his fatherā€™s lands. There is no tie to Mordin.

Thomas and Mordin have no special tie to Lydia @Pheonix, outside of having seen each other around and all the events that happened recently.

@AnonyMouse Now here things are going to get complicated. On one hand, weā€™ve already displayed that Thomas and Serena donā€™t know each other that well. At the same time, I would think that Thomas wouldā€™ve bought several items from her shop for some while now, especially potions and elixirs (only to research them, perhaps even try to reverse-engineer them (the aetherial solvent in particular), but he wouldnā€™t admit that of course). Anyway, I feel they might be more acquainted than weā€™ve shown. Perhaps itā€™s best to attribute their not-too-excited recognition of each other to the frenzy thatā€™s going on? As for William and Mordin, I donā€™t think they would really know each other (though I feel thatā€™s about to change). They mightā€™ve seen each other around though.

@Tara Thomas has no ties to Raven, nor does Mordin. Out of curiosity, you never mentioned what Ravenā€™s occupation within the castle is (only that she was probably an assassin BEFORE she came to the castle). Could you elaborate on that? Because that might spawn tie-ins.

@Simpson17866 Thomas has no ties to Marcus, though perhaps Marcus has asked him about the mage he was supposed to be meeting. Evidently, Thomas does not know of any Drow mage in the castle, he might be interested in the scrolls that Marcus has on him though. There is no tie-in to Mordin.

@Crumpets Thomas and Mordin have no connection to Key Hotay.

@Keitsumah Thomas has no connection to Annette. Perhaps Mordin has bumped into her once or twice, on one of his rare, late night trips through the castleā€™s kitchensā€¦or something like that (I donā€™t feel like going mischievous on Mordin, heā€™s quite a queer, secretive little boy).

20. Fan7asticMrFox

Fantastic!(Mr. Fox) This was exactly the kind of detail I was looking for, nice work guys :) We are all investing into the story.

@Macaberz Malefius is a well known mage around Hanavar, as a high prospect for leader of the order at a young age he has done some incredible things in magic. I had down that Malefius would know Thomas. I had the feeling that Thomas interacted with Highguard, so they probably worked and did experiments together, maybe even had an joint investigation into some of the mysteries of the mountain!

@AnonyMouse And I think Malefius would know Serena as well, considering shes an alchemist. Probably buys a fair amount of product and gives/gets advice.

21. Keitsumah

Okay, read more and now my mind is in the right place. I'll have Annette start in her room in the servants quarters with a new litter of kittens, so she'll be up (and if anyone asks why kittens, it's because there has never been a time In her life where there haven't been babies around *wink*) and then I'll have her hear some sort of commotion, but I don't think the guards would have made it down there yet so is it okay if a random servant runs down yelling a warning?

22. Fan7asticMrFox

What happens to the kittens when the adventure starts?

23. Tara

Tara Senior Member

@Macaberz Raven is one of the " unimportant" servants, she chose for this because she's hiding and she does not want to draw attention to herself. But she has done some other jobs for people who were willing to pay for it, this may or may not involve some spying around the castle. She never had any connections to the important people of Highguard, but she knew most of the people on the castle by name and of some people she knew more than just their names, this is because she likes to snoop (as I mentioned in her description).

@Pheonix Since Lydia worked at the stables and Raven likes to be outside they might have met, maybe they talked to each other sometimes. What do you think about that?

Fan7asticMrFox likes this.
  24. Keitsumah

The mom and others will be fine I think, but I plan on taking One along lol

25. Fan7asticMrFox

As long as that one is called Zazzles. Because he's zazzy.

EDIT: You guys love your anime, so I'm not sure you will get my reference lol

Arannir likes this.