1. Manav

Manav New Member

Electronic Dictionary

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Manav, Sep 19, 2010.

I am trying to increase my English vocabulary, and I think I need a handy electronic dictionary so that I can look up any new word that I come across.

1) Are such dictionaries any good?

2) Will it be helpful? Please tell me about your experience if you have used one.

3) Which one do you recommend if I want to buy one taking usefulness and economy into consideration?

Thanks.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I used to have a Franklin electronic dictionary that I got for $45 (don't know how much that is in Rupees). It uses the Merriam-Webster dictionary and is fairly good, though I don't use it much because I prefer using online dictionaries. Also, I got it on sale, so the real price could be something like $60-75.

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

You can always use Wiktionary, Cambridge Dictionary Online or one of the other on-line, free dictionaries. They may be enough for your purposes.

4. Manav

Manav New Member

Thanks. Yes, Franklin's seems to be available in India. I use online dictionaries too when I am online, but I need something which I can carry everywhere other than the traditional one (to find the words faster).