Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrKane

MrKane New Member

Is Islam above criticism in Novels?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by MrKane, Apr 15, 2010.

Okay, I've decided that my next project is going to be based on a highly educated soldier based in Afghanistan, who eventually comes back to the US and starts exposing to the people of the world, what he thinks is the truth behind Islam's connection with terrorism and why there is so much violence committed in the name of Allah.

To put it simply, he writes a book about Islam and the prophet Mohammed and how he used violence to spread his religion, and how the teachings of Mohammed inspired 9/11, and the tens of thousands of deaths and terrorist atrocities each year. He goes on live talk shows to reveal the lies of the politicians who have informed the world that Islam is a religion of peace, and he tries to prove that what the world is really facing, is a wicked, expansionary idelogy whose ultimate goal is to destroy all opposite philosophy around the world both politically and literally.

Now, let's keep the subject of Islam out of this thread please. I just want to know if you think a publisher would touch a story like this (if it was good of course), you know, with everyone being afraid to say anything about this religion and all the violence and everything. I'm certainly willing to put my neck on the line and write it (I'm super confident I can do a great job), but most publishers would be too afraid to take it on, wouldn't they?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It would be a risk. Legally, the religion of Islam would be too broad a group to constitute an action for libel. But just look at what happened to the Danish cartoonist who drew cartoons of the prophet Mohammed. It would be a risky investment.

3. rainy

rainy New Member

It would be very tactful of you to explain this is concerning the fundamentalist. Let's not color everyone the same color.

//R

4. MrKane

MrKane New Member

Well, I definitely have the balls, and more importantly I think I've got the power. But what would publishers in general think of a great story like this? There's surely many soldiers fighting in the Middle-East who will sympathise with my protagonist, so I have an angle here don't I?

5. MrKane

MrKane New Member

No it wouldn't. I haven't painted any group/race of people with the same brush. And this story is not about people, its about a religion that my character feels very strongly against. A "religion" and nothing else.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In my opinion, such a novel would be inviting a sh!tstorm, and few publishers would want to get caught by stray shots (figurative or literal).

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Without taking any sides, personal or otherwise, I think that the world view has grown rather suspicious of the idea that the people that comprise any religion can be described with sweeping generalities. It would take very little effort for anyone to point out actions done in the name of pretty much all the major religions and say, "Yeah? What about this and this and this, that was done by these and these and these people?"

So, the question is, for me: What does this character's opinion serve as far as what the story is trying to tell me?

How does the character change or grow, from or to this way of thinking?

How is the answer to the last question supposed to make me feel as the reader?

What do the answers to all the above questions tell me about the human condition?

8. rainy

rainy New Member

Wreybies hit the heart of the matter.

So far, IMO, it feels like your char is only a vehicle to transport your thoughts and opinions.

It isn't about "people"? But stories -- ones most of us find worth reading, anyway -- are about the chars. Everything else is just scenery.

Best luck,

//R

9. mercy

mercy New Member

I agree.

Have you ever even lived in the middle east or met a Muslim MrKane? I strongly suggest that before you ever write a book like that, you go live in the Middle East for several years. I'm sure you will be very disillusioned.

10. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Okaaay...speaking as a liberal, modern Muslim, living in a democratic, 99% Muslim populated country, my problem with this 'highly educated' soldier's views:

'what he thinks is the truth'.

a) how long has he been living among Muslims, to have such 'expert' views?
    b) what background does he have? Erm...fundamental Christian, maybe?
    c) how much research into the history of Islam has he done? And has he had access to original sources in Arabic (I take it he is fluent in Arabic, since he is such a know-all), or is he only interested in theories and accounts that 'prove' this little hobby horse of his? That's pretty flawed research, if I may say so...

I don't think I'll go on. Let's just say I'm so sick of ignorant comments about Islam. Sorry, but your premise does imply ignorance and deeply-ingrained prejudice, and I believe much of the more cultured reading public feels this way, also...

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You see, Mr Kane, even in this very respectful and restrained community, the viewpoint of your fictional bigot is stirring up some anger.

And before it ignites into all-out hellfire, I'm going to close this discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.