Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tales

Tales New Member

Artificial Gravity

Discussion in 'Research' started by Tales, Feb 21, 2009.

Is there a way to simulate or create gravity in space artificially without spinning the space colony until the inhabitants go dizzy?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Without rotating... well there is the idea of constantly flying in a straight line, which will force all objects within the ship in the opposite direction. But then that requires a ship to be in constant motion under its own power.

Another concept is to include some sort of high density material within the ship that would produce its own gravitational field but I have to wonder what kind of effect that concept would have on the ships operation and design. The idea itself sounds tricky to me.

Honestly, spinning is the best was to produce gravity that I think we've thought up. At 2 rpm there is no dizziness but tests in space have found the centrifugal force produced by that speed insufficient. It's believed that a human can grow accustomed to speeds of 3-8 rpm, but that anything over 9 rpm might be unlivable. There are real studies being conducted on this though, and you might try googling them to see their results.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is already at least one thread on this subject already. Please use that one instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.