1. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

Second draft in different POV?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CMastah, Aug 20, 2014.

Here's the thing, the first draft I'm working on is in third person omnipotent (think the hobbit) but I truly feel that it lacks the strength of third person personal (can't think of any examples but it's essentially third person where you experience the world through a specific character). I was planning on my second draft to be in that POV but aren't sure if I should start now.

The issue is that third person omnipotent is what comes naturally to me, third person personal I'd have to actively work on and I'm primarily worried because already I keep finding lame excuses to procrastinate from writing (checking through facebook and this forum about 20 times a day being one example :p). I'm just worried that rewriting into the POV will be either extremely difficult or next to impossible (although nothing as complicated as switching from third person to first).

2. Autumn Hazel Rain

Autumn Hazel Rain Member

I wold say go with trying POV, in a rough draft, and then compare it to the first draft. I, as a rule breaker, enjoy switching narrative voice/perspective. But it also depends on the tone of the story. best of luck!

3. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

Thanks, I'll take a section of what I've currently written and try rewriting it. I honestly find third person personal makes one care more for the character.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Uhoh - I've done this and I agree with Autumn try it out on something small - a scene, a chapter. One of my novels I did in third and switched to first - two drafts. First turned out to be a disaster for the character and though it was a good learning experience it was still a lot of time wasted. Also never get rid of a draft ever - one way of seeing what a disaster first turned out to be was to see the simplicity of my first draft.