1. Spaggo

Spaggo Banned

second try. Advice/help?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Spaggo, Aug 21, 2008.

Ok so here's the low-down my story as of now. It's a zombie themed ongoing blog story from the point of view of Gavin a young adult in his early to mid 20's. It takes place in a small town called Rivers Edge. Unlike most zombie movies/stories, humans aren't the only ones to return. it begins with the smaller animals and works its way up to humans. My only problem is I don't know what should happen next. I've completed the 1st chapter and so far Gavin meets an "All or nothing foul mouthed" guy his own age, Benny. They meet on an abandoned gastation rooftop. Niether have any real clue as what to do next. Benny tells Gavin his story about how he found out what was happening and how he got to where he is. Gavin on the other hand doesn't say much due to seeing his whole family slaughtered but that wont come out till later. They decide to leave the gas station for better shelter. They go inside to search for supplies, find a radio and hear a hopeful message. from there I don't know how to continue it. I was thinking starting a whole new event like maybe a few days down the road. or continuing with what they were doing. i'm not sure.

I'd love some plot ideas and or characters ideas. So far ive got the main character a usually quiet with common sense Gavin. Benny, an all or nothing sailor mouthed loveable spaz. And Addison Gavins dead younger sister.

2. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Spaggo,

I believe this belongs in a more appropriate section like Plot or Character development.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Agreed and moved.

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Spaggo,

This link answers all your questions:

https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=10677

After you read it, follow the advice to develop a more cohesive storyline and repost it for advice. Right now it's just a bunch of loose ideas.

Also, you have an invalid link.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

Also, please re-read the informational post I put in your Intro thread more carefully. The Review Room forums (not the Reviewing forum) is the only place extracts may be posted for critique.

Note that before posting your work in the Review Room you must perform at least two constructive (providing the writer with specific information that may be used to improve the writing or know what NOT to change) of other members' writing.

Seriously, posting your own work should not be the first thing you do on the site. Learn your way around first.