1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Secret

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Sep 27, 2009.

Just a question out of curiosity...... does anyone here keep this place a secret?

I do, although my parents are perfectly fine with me doing anything. It's just that.....this place is like my haven. My own personal world. Far away from anyone that I "truly" know (in person). Which is what makes it a haven--people so like me, right here. Letting anyone I know know about this place would make me feel like I had to act like I normally would around them, which is different from how I am here. Here I can say whatever. If my parents or friends joined it would be different. Which is why I keep this place secret. I feel like I need a place that is all mine that isn't my room or my town or whatever.

Does anyone else do the same with anyone, ever?

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

People know I belong to a forum for writers, and occasionally I'll tell funny stories about things people said, but it is pretty much something that is, as far as people around me are concerned, all mine.

3. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I keep my physical life and my online life separate. A lot of reasons go into this choice, but it's not secret for typical reasons of secrecy (shame, guilt, or secret missions ;) ) --I am just a very private person in all ways. Behind the shield of anonymity (even if some people here do recognize my face), I can say what is on my mind and receive feedback, as if it functions as a very complex personal diary. For that reason, I keep my lives separate but not necessarily secret.

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't say I keep it a secret, but I don't talk about it much with people outside my close friends. I did mention inviting some of you to my wedding to a guy I work with today, and he totally flipped about it...

perhaps that's why I don't talk about it much with people outside my close friends.

5. gslack

gslack New Member

Thats a very wise way to keep things...

I try and do the same thing. Although sometimes i do tend to ramble and for get this... LOL

6. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I so wish I could go. And, yeah, that is exactly why I don't mention this to other people.

"What do you mean she/he lives in *insert far off place here*?! How do you know he/she isn't a child molester?!"

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

.No.

But there's really not a need to keep it secret. Everyone I know is Spanish speaking so for them this is a foreign language site.

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I was told that I was going to end up with a bunch of middle aged creeper men at my wedding...I was like dude, just because you meet someone on a forum doesn't automatically mean they're a creepy child molester man. Thanks, though.

My favorite part of our conversation was "wait, you're on a writing forum? Why? Are you in school? No. Then what do you need a writing forum for?"

Uhh...you know those books you read? Someone wrote them. :rolleyes: Some people just don't understand.

9. Gigi_GNR

That does make me mad that just because you talk with people online they're instantly middle-age fat computer nerds or worse. I am a 14 yr old teenage girl, thank you very much! :D Plus, I would look amazing in a bridesmaid dress...... ;)

We should all meet beforehand and get ourselves dolled up--I mean like supermodels--so when we all appear at the wedding you can say "Oh, these are the people you thought were child molesters." And then we can all sweep off victoriously!

10. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

That comment about being a student makes me mad too. I mentioned to someone that I was going to the library. You know, friendly waiting for the bus chatting, and he immediately asked if I was a student. Ummm... Since when do you have to be a student to go to the library? Those places aren't just for research and studying. People read for fun, too.

11. Gigi_GNR

I never go on this site when anyone is in the same room with me. Because everyone I know always reads over my shoulder, and I HATE THAT.

12. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I don't keep it a secret, exactly. It's not something I feel the need to talk about, though it will come up in conversation now and then. My friends know that I have a lot of Internet friends.

My boyfriend has an account here, but he never uses it.

13. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Do I keep this place a secret? Hell no, Babieeees!!! I love this place and all of my friends and family know about it. I have made a few strong friendships because of the WF.

I have my "physical" world and my internet world. One is just as tangible as the other. This is the place I come and vent about my life, share stories about my day, and just enjoy the company of the other members. As in any type of relationship, I use caution, I share what I feel is important and keep certain aspects of my private life, private. I am who I am and I find no reason to hide behind a curtain of make believe. It is my hope that others do the same, but you never know. I must say, I have met some really amazing people here and couldn't imagine not having access to them.

You guys are just too cool!!! :D

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't you mean "we"? You're a part of this awesome community too, Chimmy.

15. shawsend

shawsend Active Member

I have secrets. No one knows it's me.

16. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

My misses knws i use this site and usually see's me on it. But other than her nobody else knows. It has just never been in conversation to mention it.

I'm old enough and been on some many forums over the past decade that it doesnt matter and nobody would care.

17. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Not at all. I am trying to get my sisters and some of my friends involved (they all write). I don't really do the secret thing all that well. And why would I keep it a secret? I tell people I hang out on a writing forums. They all know I am a geek.

18. Gigi_GNR

I never want anyone I know to join, that's the main thing. It would ruin the feeling of camaraderie with relatively unknown people.