Tags:
  1. authorRL

authorRL Banned

Seeking a ghost writer

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by authorRL, Sep 16, 2008.

Hi,

I am looking for a professional ghost writer for a non-fiction book that relates to personal relationship.

The writer's name will appear on the cover as a co-author and thereby i am looking for a female writer. Writing fee will be paid.

If you know of anyone fitting to the above description, please have her send a resume as a reply to this posting.

With kind regards, Ranan

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm just finishing up ghostwriting a book now and would be glad to discuss your project, but i don't do anything for money... if that's not a problem [ ;-) ], drop me a line...

fyi, if one is a co-author, it's not 'ghostwriting'... as that term implies, it's when the person hiring the writer has his/her name in the by line and the real writer is never known... hence a 'ghost'...

what you're describing is usually shown as 'by [your name] with [writer's name]...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Maia,

What are the perceived advantages and disadvantages of each? (Ghost writing versus co-authoring)

4. mammamaia

i'd say the main practical advantage of ghost-writing is being able to just write the thing as you feel it needs to be written, with miminal interference from the client...

with co-writing, you have to constantly deal with trying to fit another's stuff into the thing, when the other person won't be writing at the same quality level, or in the same 'voice' as you do, so it's twice or three times the work, compared to ghosting...

the only advantage [if it is one] to co-writing is having one's name on the cover...

financially, with ghosting, your fee is paid half up front, and the balance when you finish the thing [though some prefer it in thirds], a major advantage... so, if the book is never published [the most likely scenario], you've still been amply paid for your time and effort...

as opposed to co-writing, where all you've done will probably go unrewarded, as most mss never make it into book form and even if they do, don't even pay the paper and ink costs, much less for your time and talent...

those are the main differences i can think of off the top of my head...

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This site is NOT for recruiting writers fro your project. I am leaving the thread open for the discussion of ghostwriting vs. co-authoring only.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The thread is being left open for the discussion of ghostwriting vs. co-authoring.

You may NOT use this site for advertising, including recruiting writers for your project.

7. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I was looking up on wiki, ghost writting seems like it sucks. No offense but now I understand why they say shatner did not write those tekwar novels.

Ghost writting to me is an insult. I put my hard work into a novel and you get all the credit. That means if it ever comes down to other rights I have no say.

bull

8. mammamaia

there's certainly nothing wrong with, or insulting about ghostwriting... and i don't know why you'd be so insulting to those who do it...

many writers make a very good living at it... and it offers people who can't write, but who have stories to tell, at least a chance to get their stories into print, while giving writers decent pay for their efforts, as opposed to spending years trying to get their own work sold and not making a penny...

if you choose to ghostwrite something for someone, you're taking on work-for-hire and accepting the fact that your name won't be in the by line and you won't have any say in what is done with the work, or own any rights to it... having done that, what's there to complain about?...

you would have chosen that in return for thousands of dollars for your hard work... and even if the piece/book is never published, your efforts will have been rewarded with cold, hard cash... a far cry better in the long run, than piles of work sitting on your shelf that cost you money to write and will probably never return a dime...

9. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I guess in that case it makes sense but i just feel like like its cheating. Then again i thing Pinh Hitting in baseball is cheating

Edit Or pinch runners, they use to have those. don't know if they still do.

10. Ungood

Ungood New Member

think of it like a job.

All those people that design ads for Coke, you never see their name up there, but they did the work...

Same with Ghost Writing, you are being hired on a pay basis to write a work, it if tanks or triumphs you still get paid.

11. mammamaia

and nothing about that is 'cheating' since both parties are in agreement on the arrangement... so, who's getting cheated?

12. Ungood

Ungood New Member

This is a great example. Let me play with this.

Lets say you can bat, You can hit a ball better then anyone else in the entire team. When you step up to bat that baby is going to the outfield.

There is just one problem. You can't run for your life. You have bad knees and can barely walk.

So you hire someone else to run for you.

Should you let your batting skill go to waste because you can't run?

Or would hiring someone to run for you, be acceptable?

After all, you still have put that ball out in the field, you still have to do your end of the deal, and you pay them to do theirs, even if they do not make the home run.

13. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Here is an example of ghost writing that might make sense to you.

Dee Thomas is a three Hall of Fame member in the world of tournament bass fishing. He single handedly invented a technique called "flippin" back in 1976 that is now a standard practice used by virtually every professional bass fisherman in the entire USA. This man has forgotten more about bass fishing than most people will ever learn. He's got one glaring problem . . . communications. He is a terrible speaker and can barely write. He's also 70+ years old and living on bottled oxygen 24hrs a day.

I ghost write all his columns. I try to "keep it real", using many of his common slang expressions and speaking patterns. But, I also clean up his thoughts as he has a terrible tendency to "wander" when he talks. He lets me know what subject he'd like to talk about and I wire him with a mic and tell him to start any time he's ready. I transcribe his monologue (or our discussion) word-for-word before I begin organizing his thoughts. It's a lot of work and I get paid pretty good but I'd do it for free because he isn't going to be around much longer. It's important to the sport to capture as much of his history and knowledge as possible before it's lost to us.

BTW - I don't get any professional recognition in those columns. They are all his. But, he takes care of me - at every public event like big fishing tournaments, Dee makes a point to introduce me as "his writer" and recommend me to others in the sport who need such services.

1 person likes this.
  14. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Wonderful example NaCl.

I think that really captures the heart and nature of Ghost Writing.

15. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Ok all forgive me for my unknowledgable comments previously. I guess it is good to have a ghost wrwriter, and a steady paychek.

I will have to look at these books that I believe famous people to have written all over again. I use to always wonder how Denis Rodman and a few other people had written books.

16. mammamaia

if they're famous, chances are they didn't write 'their' books... or at least had a pro clean up what they wrote so it'd be readable... two of the rare few who did have the ability to write well on their own, about their lives were david niven and errol flynn...