1. Aaron McMahan

Aaron McMahan New Member

Seeking Title Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Aaron McMahan, Jan 3, 2012.

I am currently working on a science fiction novel series. I am Twilight Zone fanatic and have conjured up many ideas, not from the TV shows themselves, but the idea of a parallel/mirror world that is non-detectable to the protagonists through strange, unexplainable occurences here on Earth. I have entertained several title ideas; however, none are inspiring or "catchy." If anybody has suggestions, please help me out. Not only do I need title suggestions, but explanations for the title.

Hoping not to lose my credibility as a "non-orginalists", (that's a two dollar word) I am presenting simple but entertaining stories with majaor shock value at the climatic point as well and the "duh" moment, similar to Rod Serling The Twilight Zone.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't worry about it. Write the story, and by the time you finish, you'll have a better idea how to title it. Until you submit, and arguably even after that, all you need is a working title.

Even if you do come up with a title you like early on, keep your mind open for a better title choice.

If you haven't p[ublished yet, you shouldn't be thinking in terms of a series anyway. Focus on writing one good novel. That's enough of a challenge to start out with.

3. AmyHolt

AmyHolt Contributing Member

I change the title of my book about once a week until something sticks and then I usually change it again a few more times. I've found if you pick a really stupid title people suggest things that are often brillant. So I go for really sucky names when I start.

4. Immy

Immy Member

I find that a lot of Author's tend to pick out phrases or words from what they've written and then use that as a title.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

Mine is simply called 'untitled' - even in my agency agreement it is referred to as a currently untitled project. When it's finished either myself, my agent or my editor will come up with something fitting, but until then I'm not at all bothered that it doesn't have a title.

6. Thom

Thom Member

Most of my stories have had a number of titles before I settled down on just one. And usually it ends up being something very simple.
    A character's name, or a description of who they are, or an action their undertaking. The key is to keep it simple and descriptive to the story.

Think of some of the greats. Star Wars. Star Trek. X-Files. Battlestar Galactica. Space Battleship Yamato. Xena - Warrior Princess...
    Or game titles. Modern Warfare. Guild Wars. World of Warcraft. Battlefield 3. Grand Theft Auto...

None are terribly ingenious, but all tell you exactly what to expect.

7. Mercury12000

Mercury12000 Member

^I agree with Thom. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a bad title, only misleading ones. And if you put a misleading title on your book then you basically "miss the broad side of a barn".

Anything including like "Future, Space, X, War, Code, Zone, 3000". Know what I mean? :)

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

It's a mirror / shadow world? So maybe something along those lines. Personally I like taking well known phrases and altering them just a bit. So:

Mirror, Mirror Burning Dark.
    Parallax
    Smoke and Mirrors
    Mirror Image
    Shadow Of A Doubt
    Shadow Image
    Shadow Puppett Theatre.

Cheers, Greg.

9. Birmingham

Birmingham Active Member

Shadow Meadow........

Reflections.... (that title is great because it can mean reflections in an actual mirror, reflections of another world, or reflections as an inside search of sorts.)