Self-Confidence

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ValianceInEnd, Jun 27, 2008.

1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Walk in while he's in the bathroom...

"Well. I see why you couldn't keep up with your girlfriend last night." I would then appear from nowhere with "oohs" and say he got burned.

2. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

hahaha, I second that :D Great idea to get back at him!

3. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

........he doesn't have a girlfriend...he's sixteen and hangs out with my ten year old little brother.

4. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

erm...well....I've got nothing :p But he still should've known better than to say something like that.

5. SonnehLee

yea...he's done this multiple times in the past. he really doesnt bug me much. so don't be concerned...i'm attacking oreos at this particular moment. lol

6. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Here at writing forums, we have another good punishment: threaten to drop dictionaries on him. You learn about vocabulary, gravity, and everyone feels better... oh, right, except him.

7. SonnehLee

i have big dictionaries...we got em in germany...theres two volumes and we use em to press flowers...

8. Slippery

Slippery New Member

What. -munch- Chips are good. -munch munch-

9. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Don't blame advertisers for using stereotypes in marketing. Their job is to manipulate people into buying a product and they take advantage of the public's weaker-minded members. Strong willed consumers rarely fall for the shallow images used in a lot of advertising. Instead, they look at advertising for its substance and are targeted differently. For example, one ad might sell a truck by touting its horsepower, hauling capacity and braking distance. Another ad for the same truck might show a virile young man attracting equally "hot" women in bikinis...they are targeting entirely different markets.

The REAL image "culprit" lies in parenting. Self-esteem begins at home in one's most vulnerable developmental years. Good parenting and good early role models can "inoculate" children against social pressures and being influenced by image-based advertising. It is the people with poor self image who are most easily influenced by stereotypes.

.....NaCl

10. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I actually agree with that. My parents raised me up to sit quietly in the corner and not speak unless spoken to. Not to speak out of turn, basically, they taught me what it was like to not exist. They don't seem to remember it. I've spoken to them about it. But that is what happened. We were never to talk of our feelings, or anything like that. There was no communication. It had the biggest effect on my life. They also told me every day that I was anorexic and I wasn't. Yes at the age of 5 through to 16 I had an eating disorder. I didn't realise it, but I did. But they never once helped me with it. Only made it worse.
    My family was the biggest factor in my lack of self confidence. Now I am beginning to have pride in myself, and my confidence has certainly picked up a lot. I've had help with that though.
    But advertising is one of the biggest factors in youth eating disorders. because we are made to believe that being thin like I am, is sexy, is the way we should look.
    Thing is, we have to love ourselves for who we are. What we look like doesn't matter, it is what is inside that counts. The most beautiful people in the world are sometimes the most hideous, because they are so damn arrogant and up themselves. While you find someone that isn't as pretty, and they are so beautiful inside because they aren't shallow, they actually have hearts and care about others.

So screw what people look like. Look into the soul. That is what matters. What is on the inside. Advertising doesn't show you that. It never will. Because that is not going to sell their products.

11. Firefly

Firefly Member

This sickens me. I hate it how all these companies convince us that we're not good enough and we need their product if we don't want to be losers. :mad:

And those people on magazines - they're not real. Who have you passed on the street or in the supermarket who looks like a supermodel? These models get all gussied up so we can drool over them and follow this degrading society like mindless zombies.

Yeah, I'm not beautiful. So what? Since when does that change anything? I like myself the way God made me. I'd never change myself.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It sounds cliché, but when me and my girlfriend first started dating, I was much more interested in her personality and making her smile, than how pretty she is.
    For me, appearances ALWAYS comes behind personality.
    But this is just me, I'm an admitted romantic and I'm not afraid to say so.
    In the words of Fraiser Crane, 'We are a dying breed.'

13. Firefly

Firefly Member

^Exactly! What matters is the personality. Not the looks.

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I can see where you are coming from with the whole thing about there being an image of "the perfect person" making us feel sad if we aren't "perfect". But then I remeber how it was us that created that image of how we wished we looked. To be honest, I think that a lot of people are just naturally self consious and wish things about them may be slighlty, or totaly different, and that society is just taking advantage of it.

So in answer ot your question, I do not think that we are being influence particuarly by the media or anything, only that they are taking advantage of existing feelings we have had for millenia.

15. witch wyzwurd

witch wyzwurd New Member

I'm a vegan. I don't eat/drink any type of meat or dairy or any food/drinks that has man-made chemicals in it. The food I buy is tasty and good. If you eat this way, you will never get fat. There is hardly any fat in the product. If you're fat and depressed about it, maybe you're depressed because the harsh chemicals in the food are destroying your body, and that's how your body is reacting. Your body is sick. If you decide to block eating healthy because you want to believe that some foods (that are bad for you) are tooooo good to let go, then you're to blame, not advertising or society. There's always nutritious alternatives that are just as tasty. Forget dieting or eating bad foods in small quantities. Will hardly work. Eat right and stay slim! If you want suggestions for food alternatives, PM me.

Most women wear make-up. This is destroying their beauty. Make-up alters man's perception of women's beauty. This is why your significant other will see you as attractive only some of the time. (Yes, you look different in make up). Women: Quit wearing make up. That nervousness you feel when not wearing make up and going out in public is a sign of an anxiety disorder related to needing make up as a way to feel comfortable because you've used it for so long. It's an addiction. Make-up is no different than getting plastic surgery. Say NO to make up.

16. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I completly disagree with the make-up thing. I am complete make-up addict, and yes, I should have more confidence to not wear it, but I think I would rather look good with make-up, then bad without it. And as for only looking good to your significan other half the time, i would rather them find me attractive half the time than never.

17. witch wyzwurd

witch wyzwurd New Member

Ok. Heather. I don't see how your argument holds up in solving the self-confidence issue. And I feel sympathy for you.

18. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I wear make up because I enjoy wearing make up; not because I feel I have to wear it. And my husband sees me as beautiful all the time, not only when I wear make up. Make-up is 100%, completely different than getting plastic surgery...I'm mutilating my body permanently by putting make up on. I'm enhancing things that I want to enhance. I go out in public without make-up all the time. But I love getting dressed up, putting on make-up, and curling my hair to go out. I see nothing wrong with this and I definitely don't think it's hurting my self confidence one bit.

And FYI - I'm not vegan, but I do eat very healthy and I exercise at least an hour every day. I'm "slim" (to others) and I still have body-image issues. Being slim/eating healthy/exercising will not take those issues away. They're caused by something being messed up in my brain, not the way I actually look. And knowing this doesn't make those issues go away.

19. SonnehLee

I think that seems to be a common misconception about body images today, especially with anorexia and bullimia. A friend of mine suffered from bullimia and it was hard for me to understand why the problems didnt just "stop" after she lost weight.

20. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

This is why it's so hard for anorexics and bulimics to fully recover. It's seriously something that is wrong in the brain. I've never been depressed (or at least had a diagnosis), but from everything I've heard, I'd liken it to depression. With a lot of people who are depressed, there is a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes their depression. This is why the medicine helps them...I'd almost say that there is some "chemical imbalance" in the brain of anorexics/bulimics that causes them to restrict their diet/purge.

It's not an easy fix...and I think that lately the trend in Hollywood is to be anorexic or bulimic. It's like they've glamorized a horrible disease and made young girls strive to be like them. I don't think it's the actors/actresses fault for having the disease, but I definitely don't think the media should broadcast it so much.

21. SonnehLee

That's why I ignore the media. I refuse to watch America's Next Top Model. The only thing I keep up with there are the children.

And it's very possible that there are chemical imbalances causing these things.

22. witch wyzwurd

witch wyzwurd New Member

And I'm sure people will argue that they get plastic surgery because they enjoy getting plastic surgery. They will argue it's no different than make up. The general conception is that women are the face of beauty in society... then I ask: Why do they cover it up with make up while men show themselves as they are? I disagree with anyone who argues my point about make up. It's no different than a woman wearing a veil over her face. No different.

And as far as eating healthy, eating more healthier than not WILL boost your self esteem. I never claimed it would solve the problem totally. But, if you're not willing to try it, then you only have your self to blame for your state of physical and mental sickness.

You can argue both of my points all day, but common sense should make someone realize that the truth will lean toward my side. Make-up and crap food is junk!

23. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

To each their own, then.

24. SonnehLee

WW, I think what Libby was trying to say was that not everyone wears make up because they have to wear make up. A lot of people do, just not everyone. Junk food is bad for us. And women are wear more make up because women always have. Women have always, since the very early days of Middle and Upper class society, gone to greater lengths to get dressed up for other people, while the men have not because they would be working. So it cannot all be blamed on our self-confidence, simply because we've always done it. And if we have always done it, how could it be caused by todays mainstream media? In addition, women being the more sensitive sex by nature, we naturally care more about are appearance do to the opinions of others.

But I agree with Libby, I wear make up on occasions because I feel like dressing up, and it does make me feel good. But it's not an obsessive thing.

25. MarcG

MarcG New Member

I like to put on make-up.