1. Megs33

Megs33 Active Member

Obsession with numbers/percentages

Discussion in 'Research' started by Megs33, Jul 26, 2016.

I have a character I'm tinkering around with, and I'd love your thoughts.

This character is a bit of an oddball with jerky, furtive movements. He's quiet and a little awkward.

He's meant to act as a squire of sorts to a fighter, and his MO is to call out percentages for success- his mind quickly assesses the terrain, opponent, weapons, etc to define the odds that he calls out for his fighter to use as he or she sees fit. He might identify a way for his fighter to improve the odds and call that out as well.

My question is... how do I make this work in a way that's believable mentally? Constant Counting Disorder doesn't work since that's, y'know, counting. Could he be on the autism spectrum? I need it to be something that allows him to still have interactions that are capable and intelligent, so I don't want to get too deep in to mental illness.

Or is this totally off-the-charts and not believable at all? Suggestions and ideas are welcome!

2. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

Couldn't he just be really smart and very interested in fighting and probability? Despite the stereotype, many people of genius intellect have mannerisms indistinguishable from people of average intelligence. It's up to you if you want him to have some determinable disorder, but I don't think it's necessary to do so.

Sifunkle likes this.
  3. Megs33

Megs33 Active Member

That seems reasonable. I wasn't sure if I would be oversimplifying what someone else might consider to be a true issue not worth glossing over. I'll have to dive in and see what I come up with an go from there!