1. Happiegrrrl

Happiegrrrl New Member

Illustrations for Children's Book - Before Publisher Query?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Happiegrrrl, Mar 21, 2014.

Long ago I wrote a poem which is suitable as a children's story. My intention was to illustrate it myself, but I'm not really THAT great an illustrator. Last night I helped a friend review her website which is being developed. She is actually a brilliant artist whose style would be perfect for this project.

She worked for hire BITD when one networked by hauling their portfolio around NYC knocking on doors, and then went on hiatus for child-rearing years and such. Her website is her first step in getting back in the saddle looking for work as an illustrator.

It occurred to me this morning that she would be a magnificent artist for this project(if she was interested). I haven't brought up the subject yet, because I'd like to opinions on how to proceed. I cannot pay her to do illustrations, and have concern on asking her to do so before submitting the work to a publisher, as of course it is no small job. I have never submitted anything yet; this would be my first, and so I am wondering if others have suggestions.

Would it be acceptable -if she was interested - to submit a query and include mention that I have a potential illustrator in mind(and include a sampling of her work or link to her website which includes previous works?

andrew smith likes this.
  2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it would not be a good idea, as publishers choose their own illustrators and won't consider yours unless her work was well known in the industry...

if/when you are offered a publishing contract would be the time to bring up your friend's work and ask if some samples of illustrations for your book, not just generic ones, can be submitted...

i've no clue why your post went unnoticed/unreplied to for a month, but welcome to the forums, belatedly!

love and hugs, maia

andrew smith likes this.