1. Klogg

Klogg New Member

Word Processors

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Klogg, Dec 20, 2010.

I am curious about your opinions on this.
    Obviously, the most commonly used I would assume to be Microsoft Word. I recently downloaded AbiWord. It has great file import/export, which was my main concern as I end up switching computers often. The more I use it the more I grow to like it. It is not restricted to one OS like Microsoft Word is. It is easy for someone like me, coming from years of using a different processor, to grow accustomed to.

What word processor do you use and what do you think of it?

2. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

La Jolla, CA (and Mission Viejo, CA, during the su
    I've only ever used Microsoft Word. I'm very bad with computers and I don't even really know of other word processors except Works. But since no one uses Works, I don't see the point. I like Word OK, but it does do stupid things every now and then. For instance, it can't tolerate my changing fonts too frequently and sometimes it decides that it just doesn't feel like making a bulleted list correctly. Oh, and it thinks my last name should be "Bad mouth" or "Bismuth", and it doesn't recognize the word "liminality" which I had to write about a hundred times in an essay for anthropology.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I've used OpenOffice for around eight years. Had no major problems with it. In fact for eight years my home computer had no Microsoft products on it (my husband is a geek and won't pay hundreds for something you can get for free). That is my main motivation for using it - I also like the range of options and its web design software allows for easy quick production of an eye catching website.

4. Klogg

Klogg New Member

This was my reason for trying out AbiWord in the first place. Why should I pay for a word processor when there are equal or better ones available for free? I used Microsoft Word or Works for years simply because that was what came preloaded onto my computer.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

yep all I do is email it to myself and check in the library that all the original formatting is in place. Have yet to come across anything writing my books in the format that UK agents/publishers seem to ask for that doesn't retain the formatting I gave it in OpenOffice.

6. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

Microsoft Word is more user friendly that Open Office Writer. I have extensive experience in both and find word out performs it. Whether or not that justifies the price difference is debatable. (XX$/Free)

7. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

La Jolla, CA (and Mission Viejo, CA, during the su
    Microsoft Office (Word/Powerpoint/Excel) is very expensive; I think Word by itself is cheaper, but still over $100 which feels like a rip off to me. But my dad has a disk with Word 2000 that we bought with one of our early computers, and now whenever we get a new computer, we just download that. There's no point in getting the updated versions; Word really doesn't change, and since I have a laptop that's less than 2 years old, it will read anything that people send me in docx form. I like having Word just because I don't have to worry about any changes in formatting and things like that. Plus, I've been using it forever and I know where all the buttons are and where all the keyboard commands are.

Et oui, je savait que le mot renard etait "fox" en anglais :)

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i use ms word, as it's the lingua franca of the writing world and it works well/easily enough for me...

for scripts, i use final draft's formatting program, which is the best and in use by most pros... movie magic's is a close second according to some...

9. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

I use Google Docs quite a bit because I can access the file from any internet connected computer. Their word processor is very bare bones, but gets the job done for pounding out text.

On my computers I have Open Office. It's compatable with Word, but free. Has pretty much all the functions Word does far as I can tell. I got sticker shock a few years back when I went to purchase MS Office.

-Frank

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I like AbiWord. I also like OpenOffice. For writing, I use distraction-free editors like PyRoom, FocusWriter, or WriteMonkey.

I also sometimes use online word processors. Google Docs is OK, but I prefer Zoho Writer.

11. LadyDomino

LadyDomino New Member

I use Rough Draft - it saves in RTF format, and is free to download. only thing is need to also download a dictionary for it, but that takes little time. its easy to insert files and have multiple documents open at once. It also has a note taking facility which I've yet to work out how to use.

12. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

As I'm on a Mac, I use Pages and/or TextEdit which is the Apple equivalent of Word and Notepad, but I also use Word when I'm on the uni computers. As long as it's a word processor, I'm really not that bothered which specific one I use.