1. Appolyons

Appolyons Member

Sending Queries

Discussion in 'Query & Cover Letter Critique' started by Appolyons, Jun 20, 2008.

Hi guys.

I have a question in regards to S.A.S.E. and while I know this is getting into real basics, I just want to make sure I have a clear understanding.

Take your query letter, fold it and insert into a #10 business envelope.

After that, you simply put your name and address on it with affixed paid postage...then mailed to whatever company/individual.

Just want to make sure I have this straight. Thanks for your time guys, as always, I appreciate your help.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can't tell what your question is... and your description is a bit confused/confusing...

if you want to be sure of getting a reply, you should put a folded-up SASE in the envelope, along with your query letter... the outer envelope is then addressed to the agency/publisher with your return address in the upper left corner and the proper postage affixed at upper right...

to keep your responses straight, be sure to put the name/return address of the company on your SASE, as i've learned the hard way that all responses do not come on letterhead or mentioning the agency/publisher's name... and then you're stuck not knowing which one you got the reply from...

3. Appolyons

Appolyons Member

Ok. So does my query go inside the folded up envelope?

I found this link...tell me if its about accurate, hopefully it works:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/cheapyd/sase.jpg

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No. The letter is inserted into the outer envelope, and the folded SASE is inserted behind the letter.

The image is accurate, as far as it goes.

5. Appolyons

Appolyons Member

Alright great. Cogito, m, thank you both.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

For those who come across this string and may be wondering SASE = Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope. It is what the agent/editor will use to mail the reply.

Often appreciated by editors and agents (or their flunkies) are the type of envelopes that do not require licking to seal.

Although 98% of those reading this string may know what an SASE is, just figured I'd toss it in.

Terry