1. vyleside

vyleside New Member

Sending 'samples' to magazines?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by vyleside, Sep 18, 2009.

I wrote a query letter off to GamesTm (a gaming magazine in the UK) asking if they accept freelance work and if so, to send me submission guidelines.

I got this reply:

"Vyleside,

I'll need to see some writing samples before I can assess whether you're suitable for freelance on gamestm. We have no more room for anyone wanting to write only previews and reviews, but I'm always on the hunt for good feature writers. Send over some suitable examples of your work and I'll take a look."

Now, I've never been published before and haven't actually written any 'features,' most of what I've written has been either reviews on my blog, or reviews/previews for websites.

I take it he'll want to see features in the style Gtm publishes, but will it have to be previously published work, or could I send him an unpublished sample or two/three of what he could expect should I actually find work with them?

2. FrankB

FrankB New Member

If the work on your blog is representative of your writing chops, you could send them a link(s) or copy/paste a couple of the best pieces and send that. Seems a lot of work to write a sample feature or two but if you feel your posted work isn't up to snuff - I suppose you could try that route.

Good luck.

3. vyleside

vyleside New Member

Well it's not so much that it isn't representative, or up to snuff, but it's all reviews/previews. Seeing as he stated that isn't what he wants, I'd be wary of blowing my one chance sending stuff he specifically asked not to receive.

I'll probably link a couple of reviews, just to give a wider portfolio, but I'm thinking he wants to see examples of compelling feature articles.

4. elfen

elfen New Member

If you read regularly, you could find a subject area that has come up, and write a sample article on that, in the style of. You could also include links to you blog and to other places you have been published online ,as that may help

5. vyleside

vyleside New Member

I didn't think of that. I assumed they'd only want to see shockingly new, original pieces, but I guess if I gave my own take on something that's already been done, as long as it's well written, it can't be frowned upon (I hope).

I'm thinking of sending two features and a link to a couple of reviews and a preview.

6. elfen

elfen New Member

Hmm, I know a thing that has been brought up recently is convergent technology, and how it's affected the console marklet (eg. Xbox360, PS3 both doing this, but the Wii not and being more popular) or looking at apps and games for either Symbian/Google or Apple O/S phones? Or even Windows XP/Vista/7 comparisons?

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

can be either, or both... but it's important that you show you are able to write in their style and at their writing quality level...