1. nhope

nhope Contributing Member Reviewer

Separating yourself from your mood swings

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by nhope, May 15, 2014.

I have two stories started. One is about a 12 year old girl named Isabel, who runs off and through a knothole finds herself in a kingdom where all things are literal. The premise is personal responsibility and yes, it's a fairy tale. I absolutely love this story. The second is about an older woman named Jolene, who, after years of being controlled by her husband, kills him with a frozen turkey out near a frog pond, not premeditated, and starts to free herself. The premise is about being true to yourself. This story I also love.

Some days I feel very adult (which I am, age-wise anyway) and focus on writing about Jolene. Other days when I feel overwhelmed and want to revert back to just being a kid - a hallucinatory do-over, so to speak - I want to write about Isabel.

I'm not progressing on either because I can't stay focused. When writing, I have to focus on one thing and see it through, which is very difficult because of these attitude shifts, and which I haven't done yet with these novels. To further confuse things these shifts are on the inside. To the world, I'm the same. Some days I smile more and others I may be more quiet, but my disposition is practically the same.
    If this ever happens to you, how do you stay in one story? Maybe I should just write certain scenes depending on my mood? And is it really a mood thing or just something that happens during my dreams that upon rising I have no recollection of? Maybe I should just ignore it.

Any thoughts?

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Well, first thing that jumps at me is how you are separating youth from old age. Jolene is still a child at heart, we all are, just like children feel and sense beyond their years and sometimes can have very mature and wise perspectives on things. Separating these aspects into two separate characters is risking writing them in a very two-dimnensional way. You need to focus on one, and inject young and old regardless of which you are writing about.

peachalulu and nhope like this.
  3. nhope

nhope Contributing Member Reviewer

Which is exactly what I am doing - the heart of my question! Isabel has adult moments as the adults in her story have childlike fits. This is so obvious now. Thank you Jazzabel!

jazzabel likes this.