1. sauropod

sauropod New Member

sequel plot help?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sauropod, Sep 11, 2011.

hah. so i, fool that i may be, have decided to write a sequel/continuation/second installment in a story that i wrote some time ago, and am in need of some ideas or creative people to bounce ideas off of for an interesting plot arch.
    the story was around 25 pages, about a scarred Russian hitman who falls for a blind bartender. They tumble into bed, start to fall in love, then there's some action and kidnapping, rescuing, and happily ever after, the two of them thus retire to manage a nightclub.
    Now then...what kind of plot bunnies might i wrangle for a sequel? i don't want them to get married (ugh, the cliche), nor do i want to angst about with exbofirends/girlfriends. any advice on a good romping adventure for them to have?
    :D

2. Summer

Summer New Member

Are there any unfinished subplots that could be explored to give them a new adventure?

3. AMasonCarpenter

AMasonCarpenter New Member

Sounds like you have some good characters that you know and love. That is the hard part. Plot, for me, is like a subset of character. I make a character, say a cartoon alpaca that smokes two packs a day, play bass in a garage band, and has a day job filling pot-holes for the city. Lets call him Jake and give him an eye-patch. Now, for me, he is ready for the plot. Just (patent-pending) throw some poop at him. You know, torture the poor alpaca. Have lightening strike his road crew foreman, or a cartoon robot steals his bass. Evil Californians can move to his state and outlaw smoking or wearing eye patches. Then he avoids, overcomes, or just learns to live with all the poop his sadistic creator throws his way, learns something about himself, gets the girl, or they eye transplant or whatever, and waits patiently for another volley of poop.

In the case of your characters, I would say they witness a crime. Seems like a proper plot element for them. Not too cliche, lots of potential high jinks and the opportunity to make some fun bad guys.

Was that helpful at all?

AMC

4. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

Well, I can see one possible jumping off point. Who were the kidnappers working for? Is he dead? If not, have him make a come back, if he is dead bring in a henchman or boss. Does the hitman have any past acquaintances? If so, dredge them up and wring as much plot as you can out of them.

5. CH878

CH878 Active Member

I guess a hit man would have enemies, perhaps someone form his past could put in an appearance.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you don't have a story, don't go around with hat in hand to get someone else to donate one. Write something else instead. Don't write a sequel solely for the sake of a sequel.

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I agree. A sequel should only serve to carry on a plot that hasn't been resolved in the first book. It's okay to have a stand-alone book.