1. kyle777

kyle777 Member

Series reveal?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by kyle777, Aug 12, 2011.

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted on here, but that's mostly because I've been diligently working on the final draft of my novel. I recently finished up and have a question or two to throw out there.

First off, this is the first of a planned series. Should I mention this fact in the query letter to the agent? Or might that scare them off?

Secondly, is it possible to post our query letters on here to help iron them out? I've looked around, but I haven't found any particular place to do that in. It would help enormously to receive feedback.

2. Leah

Leah Member

Hi there :)

It is very interesting that you posted that this morning -- I had been having the exact same conversation this week with my friends/colleagues regarding my writing. I am in the same situation (first novel will be 1 of 3) and their suggestion was this : mention it in terms of a synopsis at the end of novel 1.

My novels will all be able to be read as stand alone novels, but as a series, it will fully explain the entire story.

Good luck!! :)

3. CH878

CH878 Active Member

The advice given to me has always been, make sure your first book can stand alone and don't even think about trying to get a sequel published until you have the first book selling well. You can see a lot of evidence of this, even with bestselling series. For example, the first Harry Potter can quite easily stand alone as a single story.

Therefore, my advice is treat getting the first book of your series published like you would if it was a stand-alone novel, though I see no reason why you shouldn't mention you plan on writing more books in the same series to the publisher/agent. I know of at least one successful author who did this when publishing his first book. If your book is good enough, I don't think it would scare them off, so long as the first book doesn't depend on the sequels to make sense.

4. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

I wouldn't mention anything about series in your letter.

Your work should be a stand-alone novel.

5. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributing Member Contributor

In your query you can mention that your book is a stand-alone novel with series potential. The potential for a series can be a advantageous, especially in fantasy. But don't pitch it as "book one in a series". Query only one manuscript, never multiple. The agent should never doubt whether you have a satisfactory resolution to your story. If you mention series without being clear the book can be marketed without the promise of more, then you're feeding those doubts.