1. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Series

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by colorthemap, May 5, 2011.

I am planning a series of short stories and I have two questions.

Do you think people on here would read a group of short stories, or would that be sparse reading?

Also,(my excuse for not being moved) do you think series can ruin plots? How can I get around this?

Thanks and please disregard my typos.

Much obliged, and paint the world.

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

That depends... are these short stories which you'll basically present as a novel, just that the chapters are all stand alone stories with only linking themes or something? Because I have heard of several good books where the author didn't write a novel, but 3 or more (sometimes quite a lot more) short stories that all contributed to the overall picture but had distinct characters etc. So it's totally a thing you could do.

The "People on here" comment, though, makes me think you're talking about just posting a lot of short stories here with linking themes, in which case it's just up to people to decide if they want to read them all and to make the effort to catch them, which is out of your control. At least if you group them together like a novel you force the reader to look at them all. :p

3. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

I agree to this...

But the saga might not ruin it but it could stray away from the main thing.. It was how many in it 2 or 3 books?
    I always had the same thoughts on this.

The owls books, Legends of the Guardians. You might read one or two of those,it's same the plot but it's different as well.

4. Earlychop

Earlychop Member

I would be quite happy to read them.

A series cane ruin plots in many ways. You just have to be careful.

Treat every short story as a whole - important and plot worthy. Make sure your not spreading a novella's worth of material over a longer narrative. Otherwise you should be ok.

5. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

I just wanted people to read it. The reviewing section gets few responses so I simply wondered how it would go over.

But it would mainly be a character and how she manipulates many people to do her "bidding", with each story stand alone. But if they were to be read as a whole this "minor character" in the story on an individual level would become a very developed person.

Imagine it like a TV show, one main character who changes the lives of many, which in turn develops herself.

6. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I think this is a great idea. Didn't Stephen King get started this way? I think it was called Dark Tower or something like that. Brain full of cobwebs trying to think that far back.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this site isn't really intended to be a showcase for one's work, so posting them only to be read is not a good idea, imo... and may not even be permissable under the site rules...

if you simply want people to read your stories, the place to post them would be on a site of your own, or ones set up for that purpose... this site is intended for writers who want help with their writings, or want them critiqued, not just read...

8. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

True!
    Cause one could steal the book or plot from you, which is bad.

9. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Well I'd be stupid to not want to improve : )

But my point was: If no one reads, no one reviews, I gain nothing. I did not want to waste my own time.

(Not that writing is a waste that is)

Thanks for the responses!