1. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

What happens next?

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Love to Write, Jul 6, 2013.

This is a game I often play with friends of mine who are fellow writers/ story tellers. Here is how it works: The person above you will provide a scenario prompt and you will complete the scenario. After you have done this provide of prompt of your own for next person.

I.E. A man was walking down the sidewalk when he found a shiny new quarter. He stooped to pick it up and...

The next person will write from there finishing the scene. If need be you can edit the last word or two to help you complete the scene.

I.E. A man was walking down the sidewalk when he found a shiny new quarter. He stooped to pick it up only to have a gallon of water dropped on his head by a group of mischievous children in a tree above him.

A scene prompt doesn't have to end in the middle of a sentence. It can be more of a situation, like this:

A zookeeper was doing his daily feeding rounds when he saw that the lion cage was open and empty. What happens next?

Shall we write?

Your Scenario Prompt: A woman in a bright red dress walked into a store, held up a manicured finger and...

2. swordsandpens

swordsandpens New Member

A woman in a bright red dress walked into a store, held up a manicured finger to silence the chatty clerk, and glared.

New prompt: An old man took his evening stroll around the edge of the city park, when out of nowhere...

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

An old man took his evening stroll around the edge of the city park, when out of nowhere the parentless baby carriage rolled passed him headed toward the lake.

A devastating realization that all hope was lost came over her when ...

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

A devastating realization that all hope was lost came over her when she saw the table was set for two, complete with candles and wine. Rose petals were strewn up the stairs. But she wasn't supposed to be home until Wednesday.

George turned on the television and watched as the newscaster stated the unbelievable...

5. UnrealCity

UnrealCity Active Member

George turned on the television and watched as the newscaster stated the unbelievable...
    as George, Jerry, Elaine and Kramer leaned in towards the television, watching the news in shock, Newman comes running in undressed screaming "The end of the world is upon us!!!"

Prompt: But Kathryn wasn't the only employee at the courtroom who found the object there and

6. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Prompt: The store owner was about to unlock the door of his shop when he found the door was already ajar. What happened next?

7. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

The store owner was about to unlock the door of his shop when he found the door was already ajar. His heart quickened when footsteps pattered across the floor, then the light switched on and people jumped up yelling surprise! Happy birthday!

prompt: The time for crawling around like a sick animal was over. The soldier got to his feet and

Love to Write likes this.
  8. Ray West

Ray West New Member

The time for crawling around like a sick animal was over. The soldier got to his feet and, favoring his uninjured right leg, ripped the insignia off his uniform. His only chance would be to stride as purposefully as he could manage, hopefully convincing anyone who saw him that he was supposed to be there.

Prompt: The cheer squad was just forming up to practice their big finale, when in rushed the school principal. What happened next?

9. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

The cheer squad was just forming up to practice their big finale, when in rushed the school principal! He shouted, "The Homecoming game is canceled! It's canceled I tell you! Aliens are invading!!!!" They weren't of course, but the principle did soon 'invade' a mental hospital...

Prompt: Joe and JimBob were in the woods hunting when...

10. Ghost Cat

Ghost Cat Member

Joe and JimBob were in the woods hunting when they came upon the fresh corpse of an old deer. They stopped walking, looked upon the body. The sun beat down through the trees.

"Damn hot day, in'nit?" Jimbob said, squinting his eyes stung by drips of perspiration.

"Sure is," Joe replied, lighting a cigarette.

"Wanna pick this sucker up and call it a day?"

They put a bullet in its head, for appearance's sake.

Prompt: Harold was just an average guy. Whenever anybody asked him to describe himself, that's just what he'd say, "Oh, I'm just like anybody else. You know, an average guy."

And he was. Except for one thing....:

11. Ghost Cat

Ghost Cat Member

Come on, people! Pick up the activity on this thread!
    This is such an awesome idea but I need other writers to play with.

Come on, you know you wanta! Look at my last post (just above this one) for your prompt and tell me what was so screwed up about this guy.

12. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Harold was just an average guy. Whenever anybody asked him to describe himself, that's just what he'd say, "Oh, I'm just like anybody else. You know, an average guy."

And he was. Except for one thing. Whenever he shook someone's hand, he had a tendency to squeeze hard, to the point his victim would yelp in pain. It was involuntary of course and doctors had no idea how to fix it. Needless to say, Harold had a very hard time finding a job.

Prompt: Lynn sped through the forest on a midnight horse. Her pursuer, only a few seconds behind her on horseback, drew his bow and fired.

Ghost Cat likes this.
  13. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Lynn sped through the forest on a midnight horse. Her pursuer, only a few seconds behind her on horseback, drew his bow and fired.
    The arrow found its mark at Lynn's left shoulder, sending her spinning off the horse. Lauging she pulled the toy arrow loose and drew here foam rubber sword.

New Prompt:
    John turned yet another corner and came out onto the square. This was the perfect time for the deed as the square was hosting the annual Music Festival.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  14. MorphineDrip

MorphineDrip Member

The limp bodies spread out across the square were arranged like a proper offering to Tethys - who was now far off in Thrace. John removed his toga, revealing a brown sack which hung from his neck. From it, he began scooping handfuls of Greek fire and tossing them at the unsuspecting crowd, all while reciting Homeric passages aloud - followed by what sounded like "Gaia e Megali".

next prompt:
    The deal was supposed to go down 20 minutes ago. Jay looked at his watch, said a fuck or two, and was about to bounce, until...

15. Ghost Cat

Ghost Cat Member

The deal was supposed to go down 20 minutes ago. Jay looked at his watch, said a fuck or two, and was about to bounce until he saw No Sense's big jiggly ass, strolling up Knickerbocker Ave. towards him.

"Well, shit, and oh, thank fuck," he thought to himself, wiping boogers from his face and just in time-- before they dripped into his mouth. He used the same goopy sleeve to dry his tearing eyes.

At least it was only twenty minutes. It could be worse, and it often was. Like Lou Reed said, "the first thing you learn is you always gotta wait."

Prompt:
    Kelly was a scared little girl sitting on a street corner. She looked down at the family's dead dog at her feet. Yet another failed idea. "Stupid, stupid, stupid!" she thought to herself. She should've thought twice before she....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  16. Louge

Louge New Member

Kelly was a scared little girl sitting on a street corner. She looked down at the family's dead dog at her feet. Yet another failed idea. "Stupid, stupid, stupid!" she thought to herself. She should've thought twice before she....

gave the dog those pain pills. But he was old she reasoned. She was trying to ease his aches and pains. She hadn't meant to kill him. Now she sat looking at her beloved dog. She began to cry.

Prompt:
    When the White House is captured by a terrorist and the President is kidnapped, disgraced former presidential guard Mike Butler finds himself trapped within the building. As our national security team scrambles to respond, they are forced to rely on ...

17. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

When the White House is captured by a terrorist and the President is kidnapped, disgraced former presidential guard Mike Butler finds himself trapped within the building. As our national security team scrambles to respond, they are forced to rely on an antiquated radio system since the terrorists have hijacked the phone lines. Butler scrambles to cut the power to the White House and deactivate the safety system, which unfortunately requires technical know-how that Butler barely has the basics of.

Prompt:
    Day three of the plague had shriveled the corn stalks into skeletal beams. The arid dust blew in scores of the insects, their elongated proboscises latching onto anything that might be edible. Sarah rose from where she had been gathering some missed kernels on the ground as humming shook the air...

18. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Day three of the plague had shriveled the corn stalks into skeletal beams. The arid dust blew in scores of the insects, their elongated proboscises latching onto anything that might be edible. Sarah rose from where she had been gathering some missed kernels on the ground as humming shook the air.

She wanted to drop the basket and run but their food supply was nearly gone. How much longer could Jason survive lying sick in bed? She turned from the swarm and fled, the house in view between the dead stalks. The humming grew louder like a million voices calling out for her death. With a cry she broke though the corn field and onto a grassy clearing. It was a ten second sprint across the lawn, up the stairs and to the knob of the yellow door. She looked over her should and knew it was ten seconds too long.

Prompt:
    Ben woke after something smacked his head. Drool strung from his mouth to the pillow as he sat up. There was a blurry silhouette of a man staring back at him.

"Whaaa?" Ben groaned.

"Imbecile! Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"No." Ben fell back onto his pillow. "Go away."

Another smack on the head. "You have ten minutes to

19. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

Ben woke after something smacked his head. Drool strung from his mouth to the pillow as he sat up. There was a blurry silhouette of a man staring back at him.

"Whaaa?" Ben groaned.

"Imbecile! Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"No." Ben fell back onto his pillow. "Go away."

Another smack across the head. "You have ten minutes to deactivate this bomb!"

"What! Why didn't you wake me up sooner, you moron!" Ben yelled at the top of his lungs.

"It was kind of hard doing that when I was being tied to that chair, ain't it?"

"Any idea who?" asked Ben.

"Yeah, I do. You cheated on your girlfriend and now she planted a bloody bomb on us!"

"God," he gave a sigh, "I knew one day she'd pull something like this."

"Well, you should've thought of that before you decided to date someone from the looney bin."

"She had a nice French accent, you know I can't control myself around those," he said as he put on his rubber gloves.

"I don't care! Your stupid fetish is gonna get us killed by a raging psychopath!"

Ben shook his head as he prepared his toolkit ,"Doesn't matter, had sex."

"Oh, don't you dare make your penis an excuse," said his exasperated friend.

"You're just jealous, because I tapped some smokin' French-"

Bang!

Just as Ben was attempting to cut one of the correct wires, a loud noise came across the next room, causing him to cut the wrong one.

"What just happened?" asked Ben's friend.

"I don't know, but get this - we're down to two minutes," he replied.

"Holy...!" No more words managed to be uttered as he grasped his head in disbelief.

"Yeah, I kinda cut the green wire."

"That's it, I'm outta here!"

Ben laughed. "The funny thing is, we're locked in, remember?"

"Oh my God! Oh my God, we're gonna die!"

"Relax, we're not gonna die. I've got one left to cut and we're in the clear," he said while scratching his head. "I just have to figure out which one."

"You don't know! You're in the bomb squad, for God's sake!"

"In my defense, I only carry the toolbox," replied Ben as he wiped the sweat off his forehead. "Aren't you curious what made that noise?"

"I'll be dead before that, and what if it's your crazy girlfriend?"

"She might be crazy, but she's not stupid," he said, when a sudden startled expression covered his face, "I did it!"

"Thank God... For a moment there," his friend laughed as to calm his own nerves, "For a moment I thought we weren't gonna make it."

"Just kidding, we have ten seconds."

"You motherf-"

Fin.

Prompt:

The Queen of England, the Pope and the President of the United States of America are on a deserted island after their plane crash landed somewhere in the Pacific . They only have a flint, a knife and some rope. What happens next?

rhduke likes this.