1. Reilley Turner

Reilley Turner Active Member

Severe Writer's Block

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Reilley Turner, Jul 16, 2016.

First things first, yes, I went inactive for a while, but I'm back now.

Anyway, I've had writer's block for about a month or so. I'm in the middle of a chapter but don't know how to continue. The basic just of the chapter is; two characters are doing weapons practice, the main character goes to sleep, has the darkness in his heart sampled from and them blacks out. I was going to go into a nightmare, but now i'm not so sure. Any suggestions so that I can get back to work?

2. FireWater

FireWater Active Member

Do you have an outline or some kind of plan where you know how the story will play out?

If not, you should create this before you start, kind of like getting directions before setting off on a cross-country road trip.

If so, just work on another scene you don't feel stuck on, and then you can go back to the other scene later.

If you're stuck on creating story flow and story structure, I highly recommend the website "Story Fix" by Larry Books. The info on there saved my life as a writer.

3. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributing Member

When I hit road blocks in my writing, it's often because I made some kind of mistake ir misstep in writing what came immediately before. I'll frequently go back and delete that stuff to replace it with something that flows better into where I want the story to go.

Alternatively, have a good hard think about what it is you're trying to do. Why do you want to go into a nightmare scene? How does that move the plot forward, what foreshadowing are you pursuing, etc. Once you know that, you can start thinking of other ways to get the same information across, without being blocked.

Reilley Turner likes this.
  4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Skip to the next chapter.

Or if it's a general struggle to write, not just this chapter, then have a break. One thing nearly all of us on this forum have in common is an urge to write. It'll hit you again eventually :)

Reilley Turner and zoupskim like this.