1. hrdoyle3

hrdoyle3 Member

Sex Scenes....

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by hrdoyle3, Apr 24, 2013.

My female character doesn't have sex with any of the characters, but she does ingage in oral sex. I don't want to have descriptive sexual scenes, simply not my style. Any tips on how to imply the act or how to describe what is going on so the reader can infer what is happening?

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I think the best thing to do is focus on your character's thoughts and feelings about the situation and don't say...the organs names as I'm 100% sure that the readers mind will be able to fill in the gaps but still try make it as clear as possible. Eg. 'She wrapped a hand around him and...' I'm pretty sure it's easy to infer what she's wrapping around *cough*

I was going to link a thread on this that I commented on before but I can't find it...woops.

I still hope this helped :)

3. SwampDog

SwampDog Contributing Member

Although San Fairy Ann hadn't experienced complete intimacy, she rather enjoyed being tasted by her partner...

Is that the sort of thing you're after?

4. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Lol. Plenty of ways. Your characters aren't just gonna dive in and start doing each other - they're gonna kiss, rub, caress, pull off clothes, kick off shoes - I mean, if the reader can't infer from *that* that sex is about to happen, then you've got one dense reader and there's nothing you can do about that anyway lol :p

I remember as a teenager I came across phrases like "the most secretive parts of her body" and "secret petals" and "secret/intimate places" - yeah I was discovering romance novels back in the day. At the time I didn't know any better and moved onto using some of these devices actually, without really knowing what I was writing (I was a very innocent teen lol). These are pretty cheap devices though lol.

Anything like, "A jolt of pleasure made me gasp. Rob grinned at me mischievously. I could feel his hand hot between my legs, his fingers gently probing, finding that spot that made my knees weak. I leaned into him with a sigh, gripping his shoulders. Finally we found the bed, his breath hot on my skin, his lips kissing my hips. He pulled off my knickers. I bunched up the sheets with one hand as I closed my eyes and surrendered myself to him."

Hahaha it's probably still too graphic for what you're looking for :D No idea if what I wrote was any good but what the heck, was fun to write lol.

5. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

We've had this a few times here and it's always interesting but in order to show rather than tell, we have to know the characters. Why does she do oral but nothing else? Is she a taker or a giver? How old is she? Does she have religious beliefs that prevent her from going all the way? Is it borne from a complete terror of getting pregnant? Is it because her catholicism doesn't allow for contraception? Or some other religious belief?

By explaining through her thoughts you can let the reader imagine anything they want without you shoving it down their throat (apologies)

A younger girl in an inexperienced relationship might think something like

What is he doing down there? she thought Where did he learn that? Should I tell? Show him where it is? Draw him a friggin' map! Maybe I'll buy him a compass for Christmas!

Oh shit! If she bites me once more... "Gentle" he whispered, his hand now on the back of her head, Ahhhh that's better, ah yeah... lovely.. oh wait-a-minute, she said it was her first time... took me months to talk her into this and she's way too good! Hang on why am I annoyed? This is great. But she's a dirty bitch. She's way too good for a novice... I'll bitch at her when I'm done...

In both of those sentences there isn't one mention of the "act" but I think you can tell exactly what's going on and like I said it really depends on your characters, what stage of their sex lives they are at and so on...

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

Is it important to the story that the character engages only in oral sex? Is it important for us to know that she did this?

As indicated above, the best way is to concentrate on the thoughts and feelings of the character, whether that's before, during or after the event.