Sexists stereotypes about women

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by LordKyleOfEarth, May 16, 2013.

1. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

women make mountains out of molehills

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

OP: what do you need this list for? Just wondering. Would you also like to have a list of male stereotypes while we're at it? :D

A lot has already been mentioned...

Well, all women can cook and love cooking.
    They are naturally more empathetic than men.
    They aren't good at maths/chemistry/physics.
    They love gossiping and talking s*it about people behind their backs.
    Women don't train at the gym, in fact, they gossip with their friends on the treadmill.
    Women are constantly out there to backstab other women.
    Women hate other women.
    When two men exchange blows, they become friends after the fact. When two women cat fight, they become mortal enemies after the fact.
    Women constantly fake orgasms.
    All women love handbags and shoes.

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

My personal "favourite" is that when women say no they really mean yes, and the twin sister of that stereotype, that the woman provoked a man to rape her, because she was too "sexy" and you know how it is, man is a man, he has urges and couldn't help himself.
    And the love child of the two - that most rape reports are false, brought forward by female fantasists or bitches who want revenge on a man so are trying to falsely accuse him. This is why they need to be thrashed in court (if they are even allowed to prosecute it, because no evidence is ever good enough). Translated into - rape is not really a crime but rather something a woman deserved.

4. idle

idle Active Member

Noone's mentioned "women love shopping" yet?

5. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

women don't fart...

6. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Of course I am citing stereotypes and not stating my own beliefs. One of my closest friends is from China and he is a better driver than I am. I assumed that since this is a thread about stereotypes I wouldn't need to explain this.

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Or poo.
    Women don't smell either. Especially not of sweat!

8. sanco

sanco New Member

Women don't sweat, they glisten.

9. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I'm working on a story in which I intend to present the most one-sided, flat, stereotyped female characters possible. Something that would be offensive to anyone's feminist sensibilities by simple merit of how totally incorrect it portrays women. Beyond these stereotypes it will objectify them as things to be owned/possessed by men. And the story will pass the Bechdel Test with flying colors.

Ginger, as an olive branch, I'm going to make one of them a nurse, and I'll play up all the classic nursing stereotypes as well. I have 3 living generations of nurses in my family, reaching back to my 89-year-old great aunt, so I'm well aware of the position's history.

10. jeepea

jeepea Member

My apologies, Xatron. I misread your comments as an argument with a previous post.

11. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You blame the reader. You might want to look at what differed about your post that resulted in a different perception than we have about the rest of these.

The mistake was not about your assumption, "that since this is a thread about stereotypes I wouldn't need to explain this." The mistake resulting in your comments being taken differently was the fact you prefaced them with, "it is true."

12. LordKyleOfEarth

I took it as a sarcastic "It is true...", given that the following assertions were pretty over the top. It adds further fuel to the "we need a sarcasm mark" debate, but that's a different thread.

13. GingerCoffee

I bet I could still tell you a few things about sexist bias against nurses that would surprise you. But it doesn't sound like you need that information for your story idea.

As for your story idea, however, I wonder if you know that negatives can sink in and be remembered as factual later? If you don't do it right, you may be reinforcing the stereotypes rather than discouraging them. You might consider writing the objectified stereotypes as the men and the objectifiers as the women. It's been done, of course, so you'd need to change it up a bit. But that's important anyway given it is usually done by just giving the women the stereotyped male behavior. Rarely do you see the satire with the men also being given the female stereotyped behavior.

That's why I brought up Poe's Law.

14. GingerCoffee

duplicate

15. LordKyleOfEarth

I'm sure that there are plenty of men-with-women's-stereotypes satires out there, they are all just marked as LGBT satires, not sexist. Satire is a tough genre to pen, because you have to be careful not to make it look like you [the author] subscribe to the stereotypes that you are attempting to parody. This particular story is being told from a male observer's perspective, so the stereotypes are filtered through his biased lens.

16. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

I've come across this one often:

Women don't masturbate, don't want it as much as men.

Also, how about this one:

Women don't have the physical and mental aptitude required of a soldier to put on fatigues, fall into line, pick up a semi-automatic weapon and pull the trigger.

17. PyrZern

PyrZern Member

Women bent on seeking revenge, no matter how just, are still bi*ches.

Men insult each other and none means any of it. Women compliment each other and none means any of it.

Women who dress down get frowned upon, when dressing up is expected.

18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

One stereotype is that women are obsessed with shoes. However, Imelda Marcos pushed it to too far by having 3,000 pairs of shoes. Sensible women know that no real woman needs more than 500 pairs, tops.

;)

19. GingerCoffee

OK, I can't help it. I have to post a couple more nurse stereotypes. Teaching these things is my contribution to the feminist cause.

Answer these questions, you can even cheat and use Google. Then compare your answers to mine in the spoiler tags.

What was Florence Nightingale's real contribution?
    She was one of the first people to apply the scientific process to nursing research. It's not just that she was educated as a statistician, it's that she applied her knowledge by tediously tracking and recording observations of the wound healing in the injured soldiers she was caring for. The idea was to measure outcomes of different interventions, using the scientific process. In the time of the Crimean War, medical care consisted of amputating limbs and other surgical procedures. Recovery for most injured soldiers depended on nursing care.

You'd probably be surprised to find out how recent applying the scientific process to medicine actually is. Nightingale was a pioneer in nursing science at a time when very little science was being applied to medical care. And I would bet that most of you believe medical care at the time was primarily responsible for soldiers' wound healing.

To this day, even people who are familiar with Nightingale's accomplishments would say Nightingale was doing medical research, not nursing research.

Who does history credit the germ theory to?
    A number of men.

Nurses are only given a side note despite the fact they played a key role in the discovery. Ignaz Semmelweis gets the historical credit of discovery when what he really did was notice what the nurses discovered first.
    I really should edit this Wiki entry. :mad: It wasn't just that the doctors and medical students had pathogens on their hands from autopsies. The real key to the better outcomes was the fact the midwives practiced hand washing. The most common cause of puerperal sepsis was streptococcus, a pathogen that was ubiquitous, (meaning it was everywhere, not just on cadavers).

And while the nurse midwives and the nurse followers of Florence Nightingale continued to wash their hands and keep wounds clean, thus saving thousands of lives, men ;) refused to change, and more importantly refused to consider overwhelming scientific evidence.

So the next time you think of medical science, think of women. And the next time you think of nurses, think of nursing care as a field in its own right.

20. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I vote GC for president of the nurse's union, anyone second it?

21. GingerCoffee

Don't get me started on that one. I have more than a few gripes about the history of nurses' unions that actually held us back in the past. ;)

Maybe when I finish my novel I'll look into writing non-fiction, the real history of nursing. I think I actually have enough material.

22. djzelly

djzelly New Member

Women love "girly things" frills, kittens, the color pink, getting their nails done, makeup etc.
    Women aren't good at sports and don't know anything about hard work/labor.
    Women who say they don't like "girly things" are liars.
    Women love to flirt and lead you on.
    All women know how to cook and clean.

23. GingerCoffee

Interesting history about that. Blue used to be associated with girls. But not too long ago pink emerged as marketers started making boys and girls toys distinctly in order to convince parents they needed two of each of the same thing.

Katy Guest investigates the true colours of the so-called 'gender divide'
    Marketing as a means of reinforcing gender stereotypes is a serious obstacle for both genders.

24. djzelly

djzelly New Member

That's really interesting!
    Being a woman I'm very offput by the stereotype that all women love the color pink. I have nothing against the color it's just not my favorite and I tend to buy things of other colors. The color pink doesn't really inspire or rile any emotion in me.
    I'm a lover of the color blue, mainly because it reminds me of the ocean, something I absolutely love. That interesting fact you gave made me a smile.

25. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Pfff we fart it just smells like cinnamon buns.

Yes! I've heard this before. I pretty much believe gender is a social construct. When I say gender I am not speaking about your reproductive organs sex would be in reference to reproductive organs. Gender is all in your head and gender expression is how you portray yourself to the world. Mentally I don't feel overly male or female. I'm equally in touch with my "traditionally feminine" traits and my "traditionally masculine" traits.

As for stereotypes.. I think most everyone covered all the ones I could think of myself.

The ones I find the most offensive are as follows-

Women need to be rescued.

Women are inherently weak.

Women don't want sex.

Women like to lead men on.

Women hate all other women.

and

Women are all incapable of traditionally masculine jobs/roles.