1. Cardboard Tube Knight

Cardboard Tube Knight New Member

Character Career Choices?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Cardboard Tube Knight, Sep 2, 2010.

This isn't the most vital thing, I just can't think of an effective method to research it. I'm looking for a career for a professional woman who's from Ireland to have that would bring her to the U.S., It's a pretty minor detail but I'm just wondering what kinds of jobs cause you to move like that and what kind of careers you'd have in big offices in Dublin?

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Research. Either at an university at some company.

Any management job. The important diversion within the company might not be region but different branches with in the company. She might get an offer to be get a promotion or work at the company HQ.

Any thing very specified and small. Anything from computer game art design to archaeology got such a small job markets you take any job in whatever company you get them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It need not be the job that drives the move. She may have left Ireland for economic reasons, or to get away from The Troubles. She could have lost all her family and decided she needs to get away from the land she grew up in. She may have gone to University in the States. She may have gone to join with a friend or lover, and that relationship may or may not have lasted. She may have left to get away from soggy season. Or her family may have moved to the States.

Once there, her job could be anything. If she is artistically inclined, she could end up in web design, or architecture, or marketing/advertising. Maybe she has a knack for chemistry and ends up working for an oild company or an assay firm. Maybe she's a whiz with computers, and becomes a software developer, or perhaps she is a whiz at computer repair. Maybe she is great with people and works as a Human Resources representative or a pre-sales executive. Maybe she works for a corporate legal department.

The possibilities are endless.

4. Cardboard Tube Knight

Cardboard Tube Knight New Member

Computer game design seems like a cool one, not sure why. I guess because I like. I was trying to think of something off color and kind of fun that could be slightly comedic.

She's not moving for good, just to visit. Really she's just coming on business and extending her trip to visit family. My first thought was an oil company because this is Texas and all, but because of the recent BP fiasco I don't want to put that in there and have her kind of be hated because of misconceptions. Architecture really strikes me, as it could be hinted at and even used later. She just comes to help design some buildings for the city or something.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In addition to the oil and natural gas industries, there are agriculture (including rice growing and forestry) and cattle industries, high tech (including biotech), quarrying and mining industries, commercial fishing, as well as "everywhere" industries like construction, medicine, and education.

6. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Any international consulting film in any area would be an option. Architectur, city planning, nutrition, health, etc. Whatever.

But you could go for the game industry. Its a dream many have and it might not be a bad idea.

7. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

Any corporation large enough to have branch offices in other countries (banking, insurance, tech jobs, manufacturing, etc.) will have openings that employees can post to. Most often, it is executive positions that are a significant move up the ladder that will cause an employee to relocate to another country.

As with most executive positions, the move will entail a contract renegotiation, including travel expenses and relocation allowance and possibly a signing bonus. Of course such executives must have demonstrated value to the corporation to ensure that they are "worth it". Obviously the lad in the mail room wouldn't qualify for such things.

8. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Does it have to be her profession that takes her to the US
    What about Writer's/Artist's retreats.
    Could be an actress.
    Gap year from uni.
    Could be a Doctor or police officer on some form of exchange agreement to look in to each others methods.
    Whiskey sales women

9. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Give her a job you're familiar with, or that you've had experience with, if you can. This will make it more easier for you to get the details of what she does at work accurate, if you need to.

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Nun? Seriously almost anything Dublin is a metropolitan city with almost anything available.