1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Shakespeare - your favourite plays

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Elgaisma, Sep 20, 2010.

I love Shakespeare OK I know it is a bit naff that he is my favourite playwright and Burns is my favourite poet. However I think both are fantastic. For me very few equal them for description and characterisation Which is your favourite play or sonnet and why?

I adore Macbeth - I know historically it isn't remotely accurate. I live about 3 miles from where the Macbeth witches were hung and not far from the possible site of the blasted heath (well one of them lol)

I just love the way the characters are formed Macbeths growth in evil, whilst his wife who did nothing but nag lets conscience eat away at her.

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I love Othello for the sake of Iago and his wife.

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I like Hamlet more and more each time I see it, and I must have seen it about 20-30 times now thanks to studying it in school, then right when I thought I couldn't get any more of it, David Tennant appeared on TV as Hamlet and I had to watch all of it all over again. :p (It was the best yet!)

I think I like Twelfth Night as a second favourite. I've seen/watched live/read a fair few more, but I'm not sure where they all come in - a lot of them depend on the performance. And they all rank pretty close together anyway, just 'cause I love Shakespeare so much. :p I think I'd need to see the rest a few times each before I can really comment.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

^ David Tennant in 'Hamlet' was great. :D

I know 'Romeo and Juliet' the best, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily my favourite. Obviosuly I like it for the tragedy and love elements. I quite like 'Twelfth Night' though. As for other Shakespeare plays, I've read 'Macbeth' and 'A Midsummer Nights Dream' but I don't remember them at all. I need to read/see more Shakespeare to properly comment on my favourite Shakespeare play. :p

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'm a King Lear fanboy, especially after seeing Ian McKellan perform it with the RSC. It's among the most psychologically complex and compelling of his plays, and the storm scene seems surprisingly surreal and, when you see it, quite current.

6. Elgaisma

lol David Tennant is rather brilliant whatever he plays:) I was put off Hamlet by Rosenkranz and Guildenstern off to read it properly now and find David Tennant playing Hamlet:)

I love Henry V as well it was exciting.

7. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

Twelfth Night is my favourite! Comedy in its purest form.

8. Elgaisma

ok had forgotten about King Lear and Twelfth Night, ooh and Much Ado About Nothing. OK now I can't decide. The Tempest as well.

9. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Twelfth Night and King Lear. I love most of them though, especially Othello, Midsummer Night's Dream, and Hamlet.

10. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Trouble is, if I tried to include even one more after Twelfth Night, I'd just list every single one that I've seen. :p

11. Elgaisma

I'm going to add Julius Caesar lol I remember a special schools version in Manchester in the 80s where they put the characters in a mastermind chair and quizzed them - it was when I began to 'get' Shakespeare.

12. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

My favorites are King Lear and Hamlet, both of which I've read and seen several times.