1. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Supporter

Shannon's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by ShannonH, Sep 24, 2016.

Last November, I had a bit of a creative itch that needed scratched. I had an idea that had been rolling about in my head for sometime and I finally put text to screen. The result became the opening chapter of my story.

I posted it on a few sites, including this one. It was far from perfect but people seemed to like it for the most part. Perhaps more importantly, I liked it. I wanted to tell a story with these characters.

Fast forward ten months and Chapter 8 has just been completed. It's slow going, my writing takes a backseat to most other grown-up things and the story is often a victim of my own motivation levels.

I do however, have a central plot and know where my characters are going to end up. I think I'm not at the point where turning my back on the work is no longer an option. I'm going to see it through. Anyone who wants to join in on the journey is more than welcome.

2. The Elder One

The Elder One Member

Welcome! I'm also writing my first ever novel. I'm undergoing a kind of storm of ideas I need to sort out before I continue though.

What's your story about? I'm curious.

Feel free to check my journal too.

ShannonH likes this.
  3. ShannonH

Thanks for the welcome :)

The story is space opera. A bit of a mix between something like Firefly, Cowboy Bebop and Tales of the Ketty Jay. Although I'm trying to keep similarities between these to a minimum so my work can stand on its own merits.

Captain Taryn Bellin and the crew of the Zenith live on the fringes of legal society. They take almost any job going to keep their ship in the air and dollars in their pockets.

If you're interested, you can read the first chapter here:
    https://www.amateurwriting.net/infusions/writings/writings.php?view=writing&wid=5193

The Elder One and cydney like this.
  4. The Elder One

The Elder One Member

Thanks for the offer! Will definitely check it out as soon as I have time and get back to you here. Mine's a 60s espionage story set mainly in the Middle east. How do you like that sort of genre?

ShannonH likes this.
  5. ShannonH

Thanks, I appreciate anyone that takes a look.

It definitely sounds like an interesting setting you have.

I don't think I've read too much of the genre but could recommend two books that I really enjoyed: Vengeance by George Jonas and Berlin Game by Len Dreigton.

6. ShannonH

Chapter Nine is now down.

Tried something a little different in how I wrote this chapter and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked and how quick the Chapter was to complete.

Will aim for Chapter 10 for the end of next week and give the whole piece to date a readover. It's been a good while since I ran an eye over the early chapters so I'm interested to see what my reaction to them is now.

7. ShannonH

Well the time since my last entry has been a bit of a bust.

Chapter 10 and 11 have been outlined but so far I've only made it halfway through the first attempt at 10. Am free this weekend so will try and at least get 10 done.

8. ShannonH

And Chapter 10 is in the books.

Was a bit of a slog and will definitely need some revision at some point. By far my shortest chapter but probably the one that has taken longest to finish.

9. ShannonH

Chapter 11 is down now. Like the previous chapter, it was a slog. I knew what I wanted to say/do but motivation was lacking.

I'm going to go back over what I have so far and try to clean it up somewhat. It's been quite a while since I looked at many of the earlier chapters so I'm hoping it'll be like looking at them with a fresh pair of eyes.