1. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Contributing Member

Share Your Last Three Sentences

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Masked Mole, Apr 22, 2016.

Why not tack on a sequel to the thread by @Tenderiser? Let's see your last three sentences from any WIP or finished product.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributing Member

From the end of my prologue; "What happened?" said his mother "I don't know." said his father. Perhaps they should consider, that maybe Isaiah was not an unremarkable child after all."

Foxe likes this.
  3. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Contributing Member

"Arjun’s own body went numb, following suit with the sobering sight. The doors of the emergency vehicle slammed shut with a deafening thud. Finally, Arjun knew why they called it Black Friday."

4. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

"Anger pulses through me in tandem with pain. No. It would never be enough; I want her to suffer as I am suffering now."

(My protagonist was feeling very vengeful when I left off writing yesterday...)

5. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

These are not the last three sentences of my story. The last three sentences are the same as the first three sentences of my book, which give the reader the idea that the MC wrote the story himself. I have to change the last three sentences because I changed things during the editing process. So consider the following the beginning of the last 6 sentences lol.

Asher once told me, that my life is controlled by fait. I, of course, like anyone else have the power to carve out my own path but if I deviate from my destiny, I will find little happiness. I only had to figure out where my destiny lies. Everyone says I am destined to be a writer, well now at least I have a story to tell and I believe I know just how to start it....

Oscar Leigh and zoupskim like this.
  6. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributing Member

I'm not sure I'd want to give away the last three sentences. What fun is that?
    :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

How book one ends.....

As the phone rang, I picked up the Magic 8 Ball that was still sitting in my lap, and began to shake it. When the line picked up, I took in a deep breath and said, “Rick? We need to talk.”

Then I turned the ball over, looked down at the little blue viewing window and smiled

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't have a last chapter yet but I have some chapter endings I'm satisfied with. Here's one:

A few dozen meters from where I’d slept I stopped in my tracks. Oh no! No Lumpy. That wasn’t the problem … no trap … that was. ​

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. GingerCoffee

I love that ending. :)

Oscar Leigh and dreamersky1212 like this.
  10. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

She was lost. She needed to find her way home. The air was too open, her weapon broken and hollow.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. GingerCoffee

Is that the end of the book? It's missing the punchline. ;)

zoupskim likes this.
  12. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributing Member

And they all lived happily ever after. :)

Cat Cherry, zoupskim and GingerCoffee like this.
  13. GingerCoffee

No, you don't need a happy ending or even a resolved ending. Look at your ending compared to @dreamersky1212's.

Yours:
    She was lost. She needed to find her way home. The air was too open, her weapon broken and hollow.​
    She's lost: unresolved
    She needs to not be lost: maybe redundant, maybe there were other options for her next step.
    And her weapon and/or she herself are broken: Not sure how a weapon is hollow or what the air being too open means, but neither one addresses her being lost. It doesn't leave an unanswered question, rather it leaves half a situation.

Now compare that to @dreamersky1212's:
    As the phone rang, I picked up the Magic 8 Ball that was still sitting in my lap, and began to shake it. When the line picked up, I took in a deep breath and said, “Rick? We need to talk.”

Then I turned the ball over, looked down at the little blue viewing window and smiled​
    There's a conflict: She needs to talk to Rick
    You don't know whether that will resolve the conflict because we don't hear the answer, but talking to Rick is intended to address the conflict, you know where the plot is going even though you don't know how it turned out.
    And with the Magic 8 ball answer you don't get to see, a cherry of mystery on top is added to the answer to the conflict that has been left open.

All three sentences connect.

zoupskim likes this.
  14. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Active Member

A few from some of my older stories:

-- -- -- --

"Even you deserve a second chance," Eric said. "I'm sure someday, in some life, you'll be able to make things right."

Mauricio looked up, but he didn't say a word as Eric and Rita quietly dressed and left the house.

-- -- -- --

We might have thousands of years to argue until another ship comes. In the meantime, there's something I think you need.

The new goddess of the world clasped her follower in an immaterial embrace, comforting him as the bombs began to fall.

-- -- -- --

"It's only a matter of time before the torches-and-pitchforks crowd shows up, and who knows when or whether Marlowe will come knocking."

I don't need much to make me happy. Just a strong roof, a warm bed, and the one I love beside me--the three things we all deserve.

-- -- -- --

Outside the pod, James Kearn grimaced. The comms boy and the alien had been in there for an hour, and he had a pretty good guess what they were doing.

"At least I never did it with a fucking worm."

-- -- -- --

I knew I had a style, but I didn't realize it was quite this repetitive.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. Oscar Leigh

What's repetitive? I don't quite understand what your referring to.

16. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    End of Novel: Today is the day I have been working towards. The first day of my new life. I just hope it is not my last.

From a naughty short: Unable to help myself,“So schon, Frau Doktor.“ She giggles and opens the door. Before she departs she says,“ Now, now. Be a good boy.“

From a Normal short:
    I will share my magic with you when you need it, as I will keep my eyes upon you. I will smile upon you and give you the greatest of gifts one can give another. Even though we never have met, I want you to know that I give you the most wonderful, life saving, heart felt words in my magical soul: I love you

That last one comes from a very dark point in my life. Was a hard one to write, but at least it is a happy ending. :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. Oscar Leigh

Awwwww. :friend::friend:

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. Cave Troll

@dreamersky1212 I really want to know what the magic 8 ball said. :p

@Lilith Addington Very profound and powerful. Makes one wonder what lead up to that revelation.

@Feo Takahari The last one is a little weird. I feel curiosity might kill the cat, if I wonder too much about it. :p

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. Cave Troll

I guess I write romance when I am all mopey and depressed. :p

Cat Cherry and Oscar Leigh like this.
  20. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Active Member

They all end on either an action and a short statement, or a short statement and a reaction. Either way, the very
    last line provides a sort of "capstone" that sums up the final situation and outlook of one or more characters. Looking at it this way, it's kind of formulaic, but I guess it's worked so far.

21. Oscar Leigh

Isn't that kind of necessary? It's either than or something that sums up a situation. When you describe things in high-level general terms, yeah, it looks repetitive. But that's because your talking on a level that ignores nuance. I would argue originality is more about nuance precisely because everyone complains about a lack of originality when you look at it like that. That's not what really distinguishes A from B. It's more of a category logic...
    Okay, that's it. I'm definitely doing a blog post about this.

22. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

The "her" in those sentences murdered the protagonist's parents and tried to kill the protagonist as well. So, pretty standard stuff, I guess. :p

23. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributing Member Contributor

OK, here's mine, so you can all fall over laffin' at how sappy it is:

“Before God and all the neighbors,” he replied, slipping the ring on her finger. “Forever and ever, amen.”
    And before just those witnesses, in just that way, he gathered her into his arms.

24. GingerCoffee

It's good for a romance novel.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  25. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

I haven't written the end of my novel yet. But this is the last 3 sentences so far:

The sky was orange and pink, the sun was rising. There was no sign of life, no birds, or rats and no humans of any description. I needed to see more, so I turned to face the hatch and pulled the handle.

Iain Aschendale and Oscar Leigh like this.