1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Scrivener--printing formats

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by ChickenFreak, May 10, 2016.

So, as discussed elsethread, I'm planning to start using printing as a backup scheme, just in case all other backups fail. These printed versions won't need to be comfortably readable--the goal is just to have something that would allow me to retype the work if I lose everything. (I realize that readability would be nice if I had to retype, but the odds of that happening are low enough that I'd be willing to scale up in a photocopier or something.)

I've just started using Scrivener. When I read about that software, it seems like I should be able to define more than one printing format for a project. I want a "backup print" format that will print single-spaced in a tiny tiny font. But I'm struggling with finding how to do this. There seem to be several pre-named formats, and I feel like I was halfway to figuring out how to cutomize them, but I'm struggling with how to create my own from scratch.

I'm not asking anyone to give me a detailed set of instructions, but can anyone give me a quick summary that might take me to "Oh, that's what I missed!"? (Example: "Choose Wangle from the Fooble menu and create a new Flerp. Then choose that Flerp from the Waffle menu when printing.")

While I'm at it, is there any option to "print only what's changed since date blah"? I haven't even started to try to research this, but if you happen to know off the top of your head, I'd be pleased to know.

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Compile
    On the right menu choose "Formatting"
    Check the "Override Formatting" box
    Click the field underneath the level tree on the right, click an empty space.
    Format as you choose, selecting front, spacing, etc.
    Under the right menu choose "save preset"
    Save the preset

Sorry I can't do screenshots. I'm on my laptop at work, and I'm not going to do them in paint, because fuck that noise. If you need to look at something to make sense of it I'll get you screen tonight.