1. jakeybum

jakeybum Active Member

Author gives no "wiggle room"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by jakeybum, Aug 15, 2015.

I'm proofreading a piece of nonfiction in which the author will not permit me to reword.

The author insists that I use the possessive of a song title in quote marks—which, I guess, is the proper format for song titles (i.e., to be enclosed inside quote marks and not be italicized).

Here is the example:

"You Get What You Give" 's vibrant sound . . .

I am just garnering opinions here. If forced with a gun to your head (ugh!), would you punctuate it as I did above, or would you omit that space? I will admit—both look horrendous! But without having any "wiggle room," I am helpless here.

Second option:

"You Get What You Give"'s vibrant sound . . .

It was suggested that I do this (but it is so flagrantly wrong):

"You Get What You Give's" vibrant sound . . .

And would you opt for curly or straight quotes throughout?

2. jorel

jorel Member

Woah, this is a toughie. They're all kinda bad.

Maybe: ...the vibrant sound of "You Get What You Give"...
    Or does the author want you to use the 's ?

In that case, I'd have to go with the version without the space.
    But you could try to change it up by putting: "You Get What You Give"´s vibrant sound... - where the apostrophe looks different from the lines of the quotation.

I hope you find a way.

3. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

You mean smart quotes (“ ” ‘ ’) vs plain quotes (" ')?

I hate smart quotes. One of the first things I do whenever I start using an editor is to turn off automatic smart quotes. I hate them so much that if I have an editable document open and I see one, I usually do a search-and-replace of smart quotes with plain quotes.

It is for the same reason why I prefer spaces over tabs for indenting code. Using tabs inevitably seems to lead to a mix of tabs and spaces. And unless you always edit a piece of text in the same editor and never copy or paste anything to or from it, using smart quotes inevitably leads to a mix of smart and plain quotes.

Overall, smart quotes are bad for interoperability. Each individual problem caused by them is small, but they all add up to a form of information rot.

4. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

And to answer the main question:

You are right that

"You Get What You Give's" vibrant sound

is wrong. If I absolutely had to choose, then I would put the 's outside the quotation marks (after a space). But it would really be better to do what @jorel suggests: use "of" instead of 's to signify possession.

Actually, come to think of it, I do not use quotation marks to signify a title. So these are the two ways I might use the phrase in a sentence:

I like the vibrant sound of You Get What You Give. (good)
    I like You Get What You Give's vibrant sound. (bad, but better than putting the song's title in quotation marks)

5. jakeybum

jakeybum Active Member

Thank you!

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If I had a gun to my head, I would probably just take the bullet. Seriously, sometimes rewording things makes life a lot easier.

Aaron DC likes this.
  7. jakeybum

jakeybum Active Member

I'd take the bullet, too, thirdwind. Trust me.