1. ANT (Bar YOSEF)

ANT (Bar YOSEF) New Member

Shemaghs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ANT (Bar YOSEF), Mar 8, 2008.

I wondered what is every1s thoughts on college students wearing shemaghs (the palestinian scarfs) around their necks. I personally like them but some say it shows support for HAMAS.

I'd love to hear your opinions

2. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Anything like that is, in the west's opinion, support for some militant group (sorry, Islamic militant group). It might or might not be; why don't you ask the people yourself?

Anyhow, I'd doubt making some bunch of people wear it do a lot for HAMAs. Not the kind of action a 'militant and radical' group would resort to.

3. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

There are some students at my University who wear them, and I really couldn't care less. It's just a piece of clothing.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

unfortunately, it's a piece of clothing that's been demonized by islamic terrorists wearing it as a 'uniform'... but billionaire sheiks in saudi and the emirates wear them with their well-pressed white robes, too...

with students wearing them, the problem is perception... what the rest of the world thinks, when seeing them, not the reality of it being only an innocent clothing accessory...

5. Charisma

I don't say there are no exceptions, but it's pretty rampant a belief. Anyhow, like you and mammamaia said: it's just a dress, which may be worn mostly by mostly Muslims, but it doesn't give right to anyone to blame them for terrorist activities.

1 person likes this.
  6. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Well said, Anthraxx. I would have no idea and I probably cannot comment on the scarf as I'm not sure If I have seen them at all, but I agree with Anthraxx. Just because they are Muslims and they are wearing a specific type of scarf, it doesn't make them terrorists.

7. Charisma

God Forbid, ray, if some decades later 'brunettes' are the major terrorists (which is stupid----just like it is for Islam, anyhow), then, should all brunettes shave their head? I am both of the two, a proud Muslim and a happy brunette, and I'm not going to omit either of these. Islam is my nature as it is; for those who think it is a religion, IT IS NOT just that. It is a way of life. Just because the world has come to think of 'Islamic' Militant organizations, doesn't mean I lose the right to live my way. If people don't have anything against gays, lesbians, or anything of the sort - then why Muslims? It's just unfair.

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Sadly maia is completely correct on this issue. I personally don't see the problem with the way in which anyone dresses. We all have our own dress sense and so long as we are comfortable who cares what we wear.

Though it seems society does have a problem with this dress sense, which in my opinion is wrong. We should be allowed to dress in what ever we wish to wear on the proviser that it covers the areas of the body in which are deemed innapropriate for public showing. (that sounded pompous didn't it?)

I couldn't care less what people wear so long as it is there choosing to wear what they wear and they are comfortable. What you wear doesn't mean you are going to go out and kill everyone in sight. Just means you are covering your body with cloth of some description and keeping warm or cook or whatever.

I'd honestly be more concerned about the young teens wearing next to nothing showing off their bodies to the entire nation and the ones who are wearing a shirt saying "I'm about to put a cap in your ass".

1 person likes this.
  9. Charisma

It's alright. It just irritates me to the core when someone thinks Muslims can be bossed around for no good reason. Anyway, it's alright. :)

Ditto.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's a sad commentary, though, that those two things are often seen as equally important. We often say "sex and violence" in a single breath, as if they are nearly equivalent.

Worse yet, it bothers me that the shirt is more likely to considered acceptable attire.