1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

She's mad. So...?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Charisma, Mar 14, 2008.

In my short story, I have a man married to an insane woman. The thing is, when they married she was not insane, but someone tortured her due to which she lost her mental balance. The man was yet to inform his family his marriage, but dropped the idea when his wife lost her head. He kept the marriage a secret, but his family arranged his marriage with his sister's sister-in-law, as a result of which he works harder than usual to find a solution. His sister and her husband find out about the mad woman he has married, and advised him to divorce her and marry Brittany, who he is betrothed to. NOW, comes the question. What should I do now? Some possibilities could be:
    1) He divorces her, and when he is about to marry Brittany the lady recovers. But this is too clichéd.
    2) The mad woman isn't really mad at all. She's playing with him, so when the man tries to divorce her she grabs hold of all of his property and leaves him penniless.
    3) The man loves the woman so, and is unable to divorce her. He tells the truth to Brittany, who finds his fiancé a bit unstable himself, and decides to break the engagement. The man returns home to find out that his wife committed suicide, when a maidservant intimated to her the reality behind the papers he wanted her to sign.
    Bombs away!!!

2. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

The third one would make for the more interesting story, in my opinion. Though, it is probably the most depressing. xD

3. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

Combine the last two. Seriously. Have him madly in love with her and decides not to go threw with the divorce. Instead of him finding her suicidal remains she takes all his stuff.

Or maybe, her entire reason for being 'insane' was in fact to get him to sign suggest divorce so she can take half his stuff from the pre-whatever and get married to.... the pool boy? Thats how those prenuptial agreements work right? you decide who gets what upon a divorce?

4. Charisma

Thank you, both of you. I'll work on it. But I'm still open to more suggestions, if any.

5. Gentlehands

Gentlehands New Member

I actually like the second one, mainly because I follow the mindset that women are evil and they just want your money. /sarcasm

You could really play that one out, and it makes me wonder if Brittany would still want to marry him when all of his money was gone, when she found out about the lies all this time, etc.

The first one was a bit cliched, and I applaud you for noticing that, because oftentime the reason things are cliched is because writers fail to notice that it can already be seen coming.

6. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

third one sounds like the best to me even though combining the first two would work as well. if you were to hypothetically choose the third one what would happen next?

7. Charisma

Hmm...thanks Gentlehands. Same goes for you soujiroseta. Thanks for your opinion, both. I'm open to ideas as long I don't say so. (Basically because I'll work on it during the weekend ;))