1. Artist369

Artist369 Active Member

Unconventional writing classification- Graphic Novel or not?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Artist369, Jul 17, 2014.

So I am new the writing scene, brand new in fact. But I am not actually new to the industry. I'm an illustrator who has recently started writing and have found unexpectedly, that I have a passion for it. I've been working with writers for the past 3 or 4 years and recently had one of my long-time clients stumble on some of my writing online, completely by accident (I know, what are the chances, right?). He's a publisher, and he says I can try my hand at writing for them any time, specifically for the steampunk genre which I adore illustrating. I am seriously considering taking him up on his offer. Thing is, while I do plan on doing a full three-novel trilogy, I also want to look into branching out and combining my art with my writing beyond simple cover art. Not many people have that chance, and I'd like to take a stab at it. But I'm not a comic book artist, and I'm not sure my goal of a 25 page, fully-illustrated book classifies as a 'graphic novel'. My style is realistic, and they'd be full illustrations, not black line art with color underneath.

Really, it would be a glorified short-story with breathtaking, two-page spreads of illustration with text. IS there a marketability for such an idea? What would that even be called? 'Picture novella'? Or do I leave the label off and just jump in with two feet?

I'd offer to show my artwork, but it seems I could get in trouble for posting links. Sufficeth to say, I'm on deviantart and my screen name is lithriel. Anyway, this newb is looking to get her feet wet, and I could use some expert opinion. Thanks in advance! XD

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There is. At least a niche, anyway. Wayne Barlowe fits into this niche with his book Expedition. He even picked up a Science Channel treatment of the work in the show Alien Planet. I have another large format book called Robota, the text of which is by O.S. Card and the artwork by Doug Chiang.

Artist369 likes this.
  3. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

I'm trying to make something near that, not two spread pages with text, but text and an illustration instead of text. I don't know if it will work, and I'll self-publish it.

I think yours have a niche, like Wreybies told, a good niche.

BTW, I gave a look at your DeviantArt. Amazing work, amazing!

Artist369 likes this.
  4. Artist369

Artist369 Active Member

Steller examples! Thanks so much. I had no idea what was out there on the market like this, and both examples are great places to start.

Thanks! Yeah, kickstarter is great for that sort of thing. Part of the reason for me coming here and asking is in case I decide NOT to go with the publisher. Self-publishing may be a better option. I don't know. But I know I'd likely use kickstarter to fund my time and sign prints for those who contribute if I go an alternate route. I'd give books to those who contribute beyond a threshold once they are printed. It'd be my dream come true, really. Self-publishing has opened a whole new world of possibilities these days.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Oh, and how could I forget Dinotopia?? I have the leather-bound limited signed and numbered edition along with the signed and numbered print.

If you haven't guessed yet, I am your "customer", so to speak. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Artist369 likes this.