1. BWriter

BWriter Member

Short Story Collections

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by BWriter, Dec 9, 2016.

Anyone have some modern short stoty collections I should check out. Most of what I've been reading is a bit old and I want to see what people are doing now. I like simple stories about real people.

Cheers

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson is really great. Jodi Angel's collection You Only Get Letters From Jail is another good one. Joan Wickersham is a true master. Her collection The News from Spain is perfection. Honestly, I could easily name a dozen great collections, but the three I mentioned all have stories I have gone back to read for a second or third time and I'm sure I will revisit again.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  3. BWriter

BWriter Member

Nice one, I'll check those out. I usually just pick up random books in my local shop but their short story section is about 3 books.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Complete works of William Trevor, if that's recent enough.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Check out Alice Munro. She won the Nobel Prize recently and writes nothing but short stories. You might also try T. C. Boyle.

6. Scot

Scot Senior Member

7. Absolem

Absolem Member

I'd check out Poes short story collections. Its not modern but he pretty much invented the short story if I'm not mistaken.

8. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

I am a fan of Ron Rash in the "grit lit" genre. His short story collection "Something Rich and Strange" (2004) is great. Also, just read and really enjoyed "Refresh, Refresh: Stories" by the talented Benjamin Percy. Both authors write stirring, but disturbing stories and are both wonderful writers (who also both teach creative writing).

9. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

There's enough on the Litro site, I'd say, to keep your whistle wetted. Jude Cook on there is particularly good at capturing the zeitgeist.