Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. online.education

online.education New Member

Who reviews your work?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by online.education, Aug 2, 2007.

Unless you self-publish, someone reviews your work at some point, probably a publisher, but do you have a regular reviewer besides that? Like your friend, husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend ...? Also do you think it's necessary to have a reviewer other than your publisher?

2. Christopher

Christopher New Member

I'm a student and I am the first person to review my work. Every line is read out loud, but usually quietly because then people would think I've gone mad. After that, I'll pass it off to one of my friends who is studious enough to take on the review process. There aren't many people I know who want to sit and torture themselves with other people's work though, ha...

I suppose if it were a paper for an outside source, I would have a professor look it over as well. The more eyes, the better.

3. online.education

I did something like that in college ...

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

It depends on the genre and category of literature. Since I am not an avid reader, I prefer cross-checking my stories (mostly novels) with someone beforehand. However, most of my short stories are not cross-checked before they are sent in. Even many of my novels are usually untapped. So, it depends on how insecure I am about what I've written or my level of curiousity. My eldest sister is my chief advisor, while I may discuss my plots and characters with my middle sister, mom, dad, my friends (school and/or internet) or my teachers. Otherwise, most of my poems/articles/songs/stories are entirely untouched expect by the publisher unless I'm conscious about it.
    It isn't bad, since all the articles I've written have been published (except one - I'm waiting for approval) but I didn't get them cross-checked beforehand.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I'm a member of a crit group and they see my work before it is sent off to a publisher. I also have several trusted readers, for longer works.

Terry

6. mr raphael

mr raphael New Member

is there anything like professional and amateur writing

7. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

I'm not a published writer, but I usually give my work to my best friend (and fellow writing geek), Bree. I've known her for so long and made her read my work so many times that even when she's feeding my bull (i.e. "This is...nice. It's really, um, nice." :D ), I know what she's getting from my work. It does help, and she's fabulous at pointing out my grammatical errors...she never fails in that department. :p

8. online.education

Does she give you constructive reviews? Critical reviews?

To be honest, I'm not that enlightened, so if someone tells me that my writing has numerous problems, then I wouldn't be very happy to hear. But I also know that this is exactly the kind of input I need to get, and I personally find it rather difficult to get this type of input ...

9. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

But of course. It's more like two different stages than a type, I'd say.

10. crashbang

crashbang Active Member

Currently Falmouth Uni, normal home is in Essex.
    writing a fantasy novel at moment, my mum, dad, and a friend ead through that, but im not sure if they are biased or not. does anyone else want to review what i've done? beware its 70 odd pages so far

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.