1. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Novel multiple WIPs?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by BillyxRansom, Sep 30, 2011.

what is the largest number of WIPs you had going at any one time, whether you abandoned some/most/all of them or not?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Two novels, one novella, two novelettes, and one short story. The short story is done. The rest are all still in progress. One of the novelettes is on the front burner and everything else is on the back burner.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

two, both novels, and no, it didn't work for me. I work better when I focus on one story at the time. plus I rarely feel the need to write something else since I get quite caught up in what I'm writing and at that moment all my thoughts are on that particular piece.

4. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

Two is the most I can keep straight. One that is in an editing stage and one that is in the creating stage. I wouldn't want to work on creating two stories at the same time. My mind gets way to involved with the story it's creating. I have a hard enough time remembering the characters aren't real and if I threw in another world, I might find myself locked-up someplace with padded walls. ;) Althought I find it difficult to flip back and forth between editing/ fine-tuning a story and creating one because I have to have a completely different mind set for each phase.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Same here. Sometimes, when I'm bogged down in creating, shifting to editing allows me to take a break and still feel like I'm making progress. And when editing becomes too much like drudgery, creating is a fun release.

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Currently three novels and a novella - at least that's what I've been working on this week. But I have probably sixty works in progress, and I may flip any of them open for a bit of an update at any time.

7. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I once had five or six going on at the same time, but I've learned that I can only actually finish novels when I do them one at a time. I'll flesh out new ideas in my head, but won't begin writing them until I finish the WIP I'm on. This works for me, and it's what I'd recommend, but I realize that everyone works differently and to each their own.

8. Deleth

Deleth New Member

Two active novels that I am writing (going between them keeps writers block away, though they are unrelated, not sure how that works) and another Novel in planning stages keeps me busy enough.

9. JackElliott

JackElliott New Member

two -- the one I'm editing, and the one I'm writing.

10. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

And dammit! - Wouldn't you know it - I started another one about four this morning. Three thousand words in so far.

Cheers.

11. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

A lot... I think the most have been like six or seven. Right now though I keep having two or three projects, just so that I don't get too bored with one. Also when I'm stuck on a story, writing something else is a good way to regain some inspiration.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i never counted them, but back in my highly-paid writing consultant and freelancing years it was always a LOT [as in a dozen or more]!

as a mentor and still writing [though both for free, now], i'm working with a dozen or so mentees at any given time, on a variety of mediums/genres, have several projects of my own going pretty much all of the time...