Tags:
  1. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Short story publishing

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by MarcG, Jan 9, 2008.

Since I'd love the chance to see something I've written in print, I'm wondering about the guidelines for submission for short stories. The publishers I've looked at accept e-submissions, but do not specify what should accompany the document, other than that it should be attached as a Word file. (A big thank you to Ervin, who had links to them on his website)

Is there a certain way the story should be formatted as far as a header, and what should be said in the email?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no matter how a short story is submitted, it should be in the proper format... see here for a good format guide: William Shunn : Manuscript Format

as for what to put in the email, check each venue's guidelines to see what they want... if nothing specified, just mention that you're submitting a ms for consideration and be sure to include all your contact info...

that said, a compelling query letter would be a good idea, so they'll want to open the attachment...

love and hugs, maia

3. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Thanks! I was hoping it was something fairly well defined.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Unfortunately, each market is a little different, but most of the time they ask for what they want from the writer. Follow as close as you can to that...be it the type of file (like you mentioned) or the formatting (if it is given), or if they want a cover letter, teaser line, etc.

If specific formatting is not requested, even if a cover letter is accompanying:

Be sure single spaced (usually on the left corner of the manuscript) place your contact information. This should include minimum:

Name
    Address
    email contact info

On the top right (usually), the word count (round off to the nearest hundred)

x,xxx words

Have a header with the Story Title (or key words if long) and last name justified left. On the right side, page numbers (header info not needed on the first page).

Example:

Green Trees Fly / Smith 2

Everything else should be double spaced.

Halfway down the page, center the title. Then under that, by name (or pen name).

Then start your story.

Use a # or *** to denote scene breaks (centered).

Left justify the text. Use a standard font, courier or Times Roman.

One inch margin all the way around minimum. Italics, use underline or type the words in italic (be consistent/not both)

At the end of the story, type:

The End.

If the market doesn't give specifics, the font, or whether the word count is listed on the left or right side, or whether you include your phone #, etc, isn't something to worry endlessly over. If it looks organized and professional, then you're good.

I may have missed something, so I'll double check this post later...maybe someone else would've added or clarified.

Terry