1. TheLightRoom

TheLightRoom New Member

Merging two storylines?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheLightRoom, Jul 6, 2015.

I have two storylines. One in the present and one about 70 years in the future. The characters in each story are different (although eventually they do reconnect). I am struggling with how two merge the two storylines. If they should have separate parts or flip back and forth. The present day character writes a journal predicting the life and events of the future character. ..so I think I need to start in the present....establish that time line and then add the second time line. Thoughts?

2. AlcoholicWolf

AlcoholicWolf Senior Member

Usually this works well if you just have the two stories separated into chapters, flipping in between them doesn't seem like an issue so long as you establish they're in separate times

TheLightRoom likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum.:superhello:

In your plot is the future character following the written script of the current character? Or is the current timeframe character predicting something correctly?

I think that should dictate whether you start with the future or the current.

As for how to structure it, definitely switch from one story to the other with a chapter change and consider using the year in the chapter title so the reader doesn't have to struggle too hard to follow along.

TheLightRoom likes this.
  4. Clover

Clover Member

Starting in the present sounds like a good idea, as it would probably be clearer for the reader. I also like the idea of switching from chapter to chapter, rather than breaking it into, say, two longer parts. It would highlight the similarities and differences of each time, and when they eventually reconnect it could feel more poignant, because both timelines will be fresh in the mind of the reader. :)

5. Chewie

Chewie Member

I would say switching chapters as the best way to go from one timeline to the other. I think if you play it right you can do either first and even switch it mid way through. Using cliff hangers to go from one side to the other perhaps?

Future Timeline
    Bob walked through the corridor scared to death as the he opened the door he saw it....

Present Time line
    Steve hesitated what was through the door? A clown.

Dun dun dunnnnn.