1. Madrugada

Madrugada New Member

Should I add a bit of supernatural?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Madrugada, Jun 12, 2016.

So, I'm writing an epistolary novel.
    A guy, who hates his life because he's been living the way others think it's right, gets a bunch of letters and diaries from his old friend (girl). They haven't seen each other in years because she was too free-spirited and his mother thought that he needs a proper, polite friends.
    While reading these letters, he understands what she's been going through and feels an urge to finally do something that HE wants, to go back to the girl who was the only one that made him feel alive.

It's a simplified plot, didn't want to write all the details. I've been wondering if I should leave it this way and let it be a plain love story, or should I add some supernatural elements? Like her being a witch, or some unusual event when they finally meet.

2. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I am in the same situation with my current WIP. I wanted to stay away from it at first but lately I am thinking more about adding it in because it can add a whole new layer possibilities for writing. Good Luck with yours

3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

The question you have to ask yourself is what does it add to the story? If the answer is another layer to the plot, character or theme, go for it. Otherwise, it might just come across as a gimmick.

4. Madrugada

Madrugada New Member

I think it would add some depth to the story - right now, it's kinda like just another "i-love-you-but-we-can't-be-together" stories. I'd have to think about what exactly would happen, not just add some sparkly magic here and there.

5. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Do you want to write a plain love story or a fantastical one? That's really the only question. People will have different preferences, but it's your story, so only you can decide where you'd rather go with it.

6. Madrugada

Madrugada New Member

You know, guys, this is why I love this forum so much, even I don't write a lot :)
    I'm a psychologist and all the advice you give here is actually what I say to people - what do you want, what do you think about it, you could try this if you like it, etc.

7. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

I am gonna tact on more of the same. With a bit extra.

I mean, there is really no wrong or right answer.

A love story can be in one location with only localized stakes(there stakes)

Or it can be this fate of the world thing.

I would agree though, that if you add magic, for no reason and don't develop it well, it will look forced. So, do you enjoy magic? Me? I love magic. I a sense, non magic stories bore me. Because well. Heck, I live in real life. If I am gonna join a world to live vicarously though, I would like it to be a bit better than my own life. lol. Plus I love world building magic. If these are a chore to you. I would skip it. If, as a psychologist, you want to focus more on the who, than real life is good.

Not to say you can't focus well on the who with magic. Just if you show more, you cann't show them in the same detail. So, agic love stories get around this well(I think) when they go a bit more subtle and make the love expression ingrained into the story. This works with world nding stakes too. When you show how much a character loves someone that he almost lets the world die for them. You say a lot without having to say it directly at all.

I say, go with the one that sounds more fun to you, because books are a long project. Enjoy the process and you can't lose.

8. hawls

hawls Active Member

If I was the (maybe magical) free-spirited ex girlfriend I would be a little wary of the guy who broke up with me cause he didn't know what he wanted or had the courage to go after it until he read a bunch of my personal letters and diaries.

Be careful, too, of not making your (maybe magical) free-spirited girl character the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. If you're not aware of the trope, there's something for you to research. I'm not saying don't write your (maybe magical) free-spirited girl character, just be informed so you can bring something new and surprising to her, your protagonist, and their significance to each other.

9. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

I think its a great idea. Perhaps the roles are now reversed, i.e. her family are trying to stop her from seeing him this time (they could be a family of witches or some such thing, and she has a destiny that does not involve your protagonist). I don't know what the girl's been going through, but maybe it could be related to her obligations to her family, that she wants to break free from their tradition? They could be each other's saviour.

BTW, I'm always gonna go with the supernatural. Its my fave and there aren't enough books out there with supernatural elements that aren't just horror, IMO.