1. Kallistrate

Kallistrate New Member

Should i go on?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Kallistrate, Aug 21, 2015.

I have a bit of expectations vs. reality issues.
    I've been working on this story for months. But the truth is, I'm just a teenager from Hong Kong, still studying in secondary school (or middle school as you know it). School work and pressure is mounting on me and I'm still just halfway through the story.
    Should I go on? I've been doing research about publishing manuscripts, and I am not really certain if I have the time for all these efforts to get my work published in future, and in fact I don't even know if I can spare time to work on the unfinished story. I'm afraid that I might lost my passion for the story if I choose to pause my work. Is this dream of mine, to become a writer really worth to pursuit for a secondary school student?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

You have to prioritize, and it will be hard for someone else to tell you whether you have time to work on the story and still put a sufficient amount of time into school (which should probably be your priority). There are lots of little pieces of time throughout the day that you can capture, though. Carry a small notebook with you, and when you have some down time, even if it is only a few minutes, do some writing. Look at your other "disposable" time, if you have any, and replace some of those activities with writing. I wouldn't worry too much about all of the steps of publishing at this point. Better to just concentrate on improving your writing ability, and that is something that is best done by actually writing. If you lose passion for this story due to lack of time, another story will come along. So long as you're able to continue to do some writing on a regular basis, I think you're on the right path even if you don't have anything to submit for publishing yet.

Burlbird likes this.
  3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I think you should go on, but forget about getting published for now. Just write because you love it and because you want to get this story out of your head. It doesn't have a sell-by date, you can stick it on a shelf (or a USB stick) and then look at publishing when you're done with school.

In any case, the best thing to do with a manuscript when you finish it is to shelve it for at least a few months, read it afresh, and discover all the glaring problems with it that had never occurred to you at first :D

4. Vlad Motchoulski

Vlad Motchoulski Member

I agree with the post above. Treat it as a piece of art and let it develop at its own pace.

5. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributing Member Contributor

Treat it as another step in learning how to write (and be aware that that particular learning process is likely to last a lifetime) :)

6. rainy_summerday

rainy_summerday Active Member

I think Tenderiser is right, too. Many dream of publishing, but if that is all you are writing for, then you are bound to become disappointed and even frustrated. Write for the sake of writing. There is no sell-by date.

7. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Active Member

I am 16, living in the UK- I just started sixth form today. You should defintiely go on. I think we are in very similar situations and I'm beginning to see the mountain of work thrusting out from the crust. I am more determined than ever to work on my novel, because-- despite the seemingly popular opinion that's it's almost impossible to make a living as an author-- I want to be published within the next two years. I've wanted to be a published author for a long time, but right now I'm seeing it as an economically viable option to buy a car and fund my student lifestyle towards the end of sixth form and in my beginning years of university. I got 10 A-A*s at GCSE and 2Bs, without a single minute of revision (seriously, I was spending the vast majority of that time writing for another project I was working on, not my novel). My point is this- you seem to be concerned about balancing it out with school, but I have found that it does not need to be. I am certainly naturally inclined to retain information and therefore not need to revise so much which is why I've had so much free time to write, but if you do then you can still prioritise and succeed in both ventures.