1. hilal

hilal Active Member

Developing a character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by hilal, Dec 10, 2015.

Currently writing a webseries, there is a character there whose role is of a second interrogator. Good cop bad cop sort of deal. I want him to be zen like. Meaning that he says alot of pertinent and deep things and is not your average interrogator. I still haven't developed his back story, i still have no idea. Maybe his parents were killed in front of his eyes. Maybe he has always been like this, maybe he lost the love of his life to a fatal disease.

Any characters from books or tv that come to mind? Given that GOT is an ensemble does anyone from the series comes to mind ? Someone who is very pragmatic but is not cynical

2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Does he need to say deep things? Just a thought, perhaps he could say things that have a 'shallow' first meaning and then have to be read deeper to find a second meaning. It may seem a bit strange just going out there saying deep things. However Its your webseries and I'm fairly new to all this.
    To say such deep things he would need to learn them so perhaps he had a bad up bringing and would spend his time in the library to hide and started reading poetry or philosophy?
    What would YOU like? It is very important for backstory to be your own really.

3. hilal

hilal Active Member

Thats good. The series i'm making is a mix of lie to me with da vinchi code. At first i wanted to do more stuff like sherlock and elementry as well but i need to do something different. When you think about an interrogator what comes to mind? Obviously it's something that you relate to them, a stereotype. But i want these people to be more than that. What makes a man be an interrogator ? Maybe he is a biologist who has always been fascinated with the face. Or like i said he experienced something horrendous.
    What is that french flower called that is representing you?

4. hilal

hilal Active Member

What exactly do you have in mind ?

5. I.A. By the Barn

Well, its a bit silly really but something like- 'You took the jewels from her.' in a certain tone, that hints at more. Say some jewellery had also been nicked as well as a death occurring. Firstly it is thought the accused took the jewels, but imagine if the victim had became more and more sad and empty leading up to her death- now what are the jewels?

My symbol is a fleur de lis/lys (its spelt differently in different regions and time periods) it means lily flower but of course is highly stylised compared to the real thing. France, of course, had it as a royal symbol for many years while the prince of wales today has one made of feathers.

6. hilal

hilal Active Member

Not bad but now it has also got me thinking, what are the jewels?

7. I.A. By the Barn

The jewels were a bad metaphor for the fire in her heart, the will to live.

8. hilal

hilal Active Member

i c

Acanthophis likes this.