1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Should I improve Macbeth's image ?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Elgaisma, Jan 16, 2011.

I have been writing a series of short stories called Lanterns of the North (Cathedral in the main town in the area is sometimes referred to as Lantern of the North). It plays to my interests and passion for local historical figures, the area I live in has some of most important events in Scottish History but it is largely forgotten to the point there is a vital 700 year old document in a shoe box in a draughty damp cellar. I have a business plan for this want to self publish and get it translated into the Scots Language.

Macbeth has connection to the area and the three witches were hanged about three miles from here. I am contemplating a short story and unsure whether to portray as accurate - a man who got rid of a useless monarch and reigned well or to go down the Shakespearean route? The latter would be more fun to write but I like the idea of improving his image lol (It still remains my favourite play).

What would you do ?

2. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Break the stereotype, i.e portray him in a positive light.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Write the one that's more fun, but don't be afraid to be unique. You don't want to just retell Macbeth in a revamped version, or all the readers who've read Macbeth will know what's coming and there won't be many surprises. i'd recommend a fresh angle. :)

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Fresh angle is fairly easy because of the locations involved hmm I think I need to find out more about Banquo I seem to remember he was the real nasty piece of work. Ugh I am very torn on this one.. He really doesn't deserve his image but writing him evil would be more fun.

5. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Write to the trust where you can. People will thank you for it. :)