1. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

Should I include all the characters in my synopsis?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by The95Writer, Apr 29, 2014.

I have 11 chapters and I am writing about a 6 line paragraph for each. But, I am having trouble with trying to include characters since there are 6 characters that are all involved in the 'crisis'. There are two more important characters but I am wondering if it is necessary to include all the characters since they do play their own important roles. If so, what technique can I use? I want to ensure that the main two characters are of different races and so forth.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

What's this synopsis for? Seems a little wordy if you're sending it to an agent.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Stick to the main plot. Anything outside can be ditched I think.

5. JayG

JayG Banned Contributor

A synopsis is a stand-in for the body of the manuscript. It will only be read if the sample (or the blurb if there is no sample) sounds interesting enough that they think they might request the manuscript. As such it doesn't talk about the characters, or try to sell, the work. It is a simple, "This happened...then that happened...and after that..." You start at the beginning, tell it in present case and in real time, and continue till the end, without asides and editorial comments.

How long it is, is a function of the length of the story as modified by the desires of whoever you're submitting the work to.

6. The95Writer

Okay, so I think I have written to much already. It is actually for my novella but I am finding it hard to just make it simple!

7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It's really tricky, isn't it? You've spent time crafting your story to what you feel is JUST the right length ...then you have to go and tell it to somebody in just a few paragraphs or pages!

8. The95Writer

How can I not make this too short now though? Can it only be one page in A4 size?

9. The95Writer

My synopsis is now only 258 words and it is just about filling the page. Is this WAY to small?

10. JayG

JayG Banned Contributor

You don't have either the synopsis posted or a sample of the work. How can anyone tell you if it works or not?

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you also need to tell us why you're writing it... what/who is it meant for?... was it requested?...

12. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I wouldn't. It's my believe that the reader will need to have something to read. If your fore warn them who everyone is and what their role is in the story arc what is indeed the point of reading it?

The synopsis is meant to intrigue the agent/publisher/reader not to give them a blow by blow description of who everybody is and what their role is in the story. It sounds like an impossible task you have set for yourself.

I would just stick to two main characters to stop confusion. Why is it important that the two main characters are different species? You have me intrigued.