1. jmh105

jmh105 Active Member

Should I keep writing this?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by jmh105, Jan 6, 2016.

Hello, everyone,

I've been in a bad place lately and I've begun to realize that the novel I'm working on reflects me a little too much. I've put the MC into a similar position as mine--one in which he doesn't survive. A lot of the other characters also contain hints of me and my perceptions on life, too, and there isn't a happy ending. Consequently, I'm starting to feel that my writing is just a cesspool of my bitter emotions and negativity and I'm not sure if that's necessarily a good thing for me to write and for others to read.

What do you think?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

What effect is it having on you, emotionally?

This won't necessarily land you with a bad book, but if it's making things worse for you in real life it isn't worth it. But if it's helping you by acting as an outlet for the negativity, then keep going.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I echo this sentiment. If it's helping you cope with the negativity, then do it.

4. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

Some of the best worth artists produce comes from negative emotion, so if it's purely a matter of "will this be any good?", then I'd keep writing it.

If it's having a negative effect on you, then you should stop. It's not worth it.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

As above, if it's having a negative effect on you, then that's something to take into consideration, but if not...

Even if the story is basically you exorcising your demons, so what? Who cares. Go ahead and exorcise your demons. I think it's a bizarre mistake a lot of new writers make to think that the book that they first sit down to write will be the book they publish. An apprentice watchmaker doesn't expect the very first timepiece he/she ever sits down to create to be a Patek Philippe worthy of the name. There's quite a bit of practice before he/she is allowed near the benches where the showcase watches are made. Use this story as part of your apprenticeship. If that's all it ever turns out to be, that's fine. Your time was well spent in learning. If it turns out to be better than that, well, obviously that's great too.

Okon and Link the Writer like this.
  6. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

THIS ^^^^^

If it helps, do it. If it hurts, don't.

If you like writing but feel this one is hurting you - don't not write, write something else.

7. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Like everyone else says: if it hurts you, get your hand off the stove.

Otherwise, having a completed first draft of anything, whether publishable or not, is a great feat that involves lots of learning. I suggest finishing your draft without the intent for others to read it.

Wreybies likes this.
  8. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

All of our characters have a little bit of its author in them. We might want to admit it, but its true. Great stories with great antagonists make me wonder a lot about the author. Stephen King to me is one scary dude. Your can say he is just creating a good villain, but that character is scary because the author is scary. If he wasn't a writer, I would not be surprised in the least if he turned out to be a serial killer.
    Life can dark sometimes, I suggest go with it. As long as your story flows write, it will be good, and a part of you.

9. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

Damm, that is some terrible grammar I used above!

10. jmh105

jmh105 Active Member

Thanks so much, everyone, for your caring comments. I really appreciate it.

The truth is, this certainly is negatively affecting me, especially as of late. I have been spending time this week thinking about my situation. Consequently, I am hoping that the storm will pass so I can get back to it. This is because this story is really the most developed one I have in my arsenal. I put too much work (and, admittedly, myself) into it to scrap it. I would be a bit more eager to distance myself from it if I had another (better) story to fall back on, but as of now, I don't. And if the best writing comes from experience, then I may have the potential to write decently.

What I want to do, though, is make it less soul-crushing. I don't need that at all; I am sure to become worse if I make that horrible aspect all the more detailed. The main problem was that I made the character experience my suffering but end up succumbing to it. Perhaps I can reinforce hope in my life if I made sure he didn't succumb. Does that make sense? Perhaps if he perseveres, I can be assured I can, too. Instead of surrounding myself with 100% negativity, I can make a balance or even a compromise.

Even so, I want the conflict to still be prevalent--I just don't want my MC to die or have any excessive thoughts of ending it. I can hint to it, but not emphasize it--and if I do, then I can have him get some help. He might not be completely better (that's unrealistic), but he might have some of the hope I desire to have in the future.

I do need to take a hiatus from it, but not scrap it entirely. Do you guys have any thoughts to this approach?
    Again, thanks so much for being there for me and sharing your valuable advice with me.