should i kill of the main character's best friend or his stster

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by highwaymanlee, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Ixloriana

Ixloriana New Member

Pick a character to die and write a summary of how you expect the story to go afterward. Then do the same for the other character. Pick which one you like better.

A fake death is kind of a risk, because most readers will spot it a mile away -- no body, no death. It might be easier to resurrect the healer, who has the favor of the gods, if you decide she needs to come back.

Hope it helps! Good luck!

2. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@need to write
    Tropes are unavoidable, cliches are bad. Cliches are those things that repeat themselves so much they loose all life.

I would agree with all things others pointed about letting your narrative work for you. But if I have to choose, I'd go with the general. Kill him. Make him suffer. Make his armies see him die in the hands of the healer. Then, make your MC choose between his loyalties to his sister and his loyalties to late general's armies. You want chaos in Seven kingdoms? Think rampant armies and every officer for himself after the death of a charismatic leader.
    Am I overdoing it? Sorry :)

3. highwaymanlee

highwaymanlee Active Member

I would agree with all things others pointed about letting your narrative work for you. But if I have to choose, I'd go with the general. Kill him. Make him suffer. Make his armies see him die in the hands of the healer. Then, make your MC choose between his loyalties to his sister and his loyalties to late general's armies. You want chaos in Seven kingdoms? Think rampant armies and every officer for himself after the death of a charismatic leader.
    Am I overdoing it? Sorry :)[/QUOTE]

well there are other generals and the mc to hold the army together it just makes them less merciful to those the conquer

4. louis1

louis1 Member

get them in a situation where the MC can only save one of both. then when he choose (hardest decision ever) make it so that both die, because of the main character.

5. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

I'll be honest with you, I'm a sucker for killing off family members. Theres nothing quite like killing off someone your character has known since childhood, makes em go nuts.

6. highwaymanlee

highwaymanlee Active Member

thats true. and thats also why its a double edged sword. my mc is the son of a cheif of the most powerful of the barbarian tribes. so he has to keep so measure of sanity or his people will get destoried. which is why im on the fence about killing her off.