Tags:
  1. Godot

Godot New Member

Should I make God the villain of my story?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Godot, Jul 7, 2013.

My story has a misotheistic theme. Should I go all out and go ahead and advocate all out deicide and have my main characters fight god? Ironically however my story does subvert this idea...

2. Folcro

Folcro New Member

I'm not sure if it is something I would do or go for. There could be a lot of problems readers have, aside form the obvious. Do you plan on having multiple Gods in this world or just the one?

3. Godot

Godot New Member

Multiple gods including the god of the old testament. The main characters themselves are deities.

4. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

Look up Preacher the comic book. God in that work is, I wouldn't say a villain, but certainly not a noble character.

5. Folcro

Folcro New Member

I do love me some Garth Ennis. Haven't gotten into that one, though.

6. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

Don't expect religious people to read it, but you can do anything.

7. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

But if you can get the religious people to boycott it loudly, publicly and (if you play your cards right) on every street corner, it will sell like hotcakes!

I never thought of making God the bad guy. Makes me pretty uncomfortable, to think about writing it!

People like to think about angels and having them watch over you and whatnot, but that's not exactly biblical. Angels are not sent to help you along. They are sent to SMITE you. To make you an example in front of everyone. God made a lot of mistakes and used some poor planning methods, in the Old Testament (Adam and Eve, for instance. If He'd said 'THOU SHALT NOT EAT THE SNAKE' everything would have been fine but God'd never had kids before so he made a typical "Dad Mistake". What happens if you forbid a three year old from doing something and then leave the room?) and sometimes He had to be talked out of rash decisions.

Maybe I'd make God *mistaken* rather than bad.

Frequently God failed to foresee what humans would do and failed to expect them to act like humans, with free will, who are subject to sinning (willfully and enthusiastically).

An element of Christians will disagree that humanity will willfully do bad things, saying it is not in our nature. To that I say "Ever planned a weekend in Vegas?" I am pretty sure Sodom and Gomorrah would have LOVED Vegas' catchphrase.

Write that book and then send it to the Westboro Baptist Church. They'll do all of your marketing for you!

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Second time this week I cite Clive Barker's Imajica. :) In this diptych, Barker does just that. God is very much the baddie here. No punches pulled. No soft-shoeing. No mambi-pambi about it. In this story, he's a thug. There are interconnected worlds called Dominions which parallel a lot of Judeo-Christian mythology, particularly elements found in apocryphal texts. The first Dominion is the one occupied by "God". The MC of the story (a fellah' named Gentle) finds out he is a second Son of God (a.k.a. Jesus's l'il bro) and is none too happy about what Daddy is looking for him to carry out. In fact, in this story, some serious doubt is shed on how/why Jesus died, to the tune of him having also rebelled against Daddy and Daddy "took care of him", gangsta' style.

The idea that religious people won't read this text is not something you should allow to concern you. Lots of (fill in the blank) people won't read (fill in the blank) books.

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If we tell you not to do it, does that mean you won't?

These are the kinds of decisions writers have to be able to make on their own. What are you trying to say in your story? What works best for your story? Those should be your only considerations. Whom you might offend should be the least of your concerns (after all, you will have to be rather successful just to be able to offend anybody).

So go, decide. Then write it.

10. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Write with reckless abandon about whatever you want to write about.

11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

The word that caught my eye was "advocate". If you're intending to make this into a thinly or semi-disguised soapbox for your own opinions - generally not a good idea. Readers don't care for either diatribes or preaching. If, on the other hand, the god(s) are just the bad guys of the story, I see no reason not to go for it. Some people won't like it, but that's true of any book written.

12. stanislav

stanislav New Member

Nietzsche already killed his God. Nothing new. Important thing is why you are going misotheistic and with fighting God, who/what actually you are fighting with/against?

13. Godot

Godot New Member

The god of the old testament and all the other gods in this story are human. The god of the old testament in the distant past conquered the entire universe. The entire universe with to war with him. Humans with help were able to artificially create gods to fight the god of the old testament. They won but at great cost and at the present all this information has been lost. The artificially created gods descendants are the main characters and the old of the old testament has returned to start some more drama.

14. Wreybies

I dig it. :) In a sense, you're reconstructing what "really happend" from the myths with which we are left today. I'm sure you're aware of the War in Heaven myth, which lends itself well to what you are doing. ;)

15. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

On another plane, this is what Immanuel Velikovsky did with Worlds in Collision.

16. Wreybies

Yup. :) Too bad he published it as non-fiction. ;)

17. Godot

Godot New Member

actually I never heard of this myth. The inspiration for this story mostly comes of eastern religion/culture; mainly japanese. If you know anything about japanese literary tropes, this is fairly typical.

18. Godot

Godot New Member

lol I see

19. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

The myth goes that some of the Angels in heaven rebelled against God. God gave humans free will, but not the Angels. God put human "meat-puppets" above the angels who were there first. They had to do whatever God wanted. Whereas God could ORDER a human to do something and the human could just blow Him off. Lucifer talked some of the angels into the rebellion. It caused an enormous war. God cast them all out. Their punishment was not to burn for eternity, but to endure it forever without ever hearing the Voice of God again.

The movie "Dogma" explains it fairly well. A lot of Christians believe it happened, even though there is not a single mention of the event, anywhere in the Bible. At all.

20. Wreybies

Quite familiar, matter of fact. I grew up in Hawai'i. HUGE Japanese population. ;)

21. Godot

Godot New Member

I am fairly familiar with the old testament, however I interpret the document as is in a historical context. Therefore I ignore any and all christian interpretation. Lucifier is a serious mistranslation mostly to purpose to fulfill some agenda. That whole passage has nothing to do with fallen angels but a corrupt babylonian king.

22. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

Hilariously enough, minutes before I saw the existence of this topic, I wrote a story where God created earth by accident, and every day perseveres to destroy it.

23. Godot

Godot New Member

There is a random tribe in africa whose religion claims that god made humans so he could have something to torture. So its everyone one's responsibility to resist him.

24. Wreybies

Mythologically speaking, Satan, Lucifer, Beelzebub, etc. are all just fanciful boogymen created, twisted and marrionetted for the purpose of those in the Church at whatever point in history they happened to live. It's common knowledge that the red, pointy-horned, trident-bearing portrayal of the "Devil" has absolutely zip to do with actual Christian mythos and everything to do with appropriating visual elements of gods of other religions and demonizing them. Propaganda. It's very probable that St. Brigitte was very never an actual person, but a syncretized version of the goddess Brighid, created to get pagan worshipers into the church. There is as much politicking and propaganda as anything else in religion, so what seems rarely ever is.

25. Folcro

Folcro New Member

How could the angels rebel if they don't have free will?