Should I make God the villain of my story?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Godot, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. The Peanut Monster

The Peanut Monster New Member

Great advice. Sounds like an interesting idea to me!

2. stanislav

stanislav New Member

You are moving to a pretty shaking ground here. There is no tribe in the world without God. Some of them blames God for their bad luck, but I have never heard about tribe or nation denying God. He could be denied by person or groups who put great trust in the ability of men to take care about themselves without help from above (or below). "If there is no God, everything is alowed" - from Brothers Karamazov.

3. Godot

Godot New Member

there was a tribe discovered in south america, their language does not support a concept of a god, it has no numbers, no creation story, no colours, no supernatural belief nothing. They are called the piraha. Technically there are no gods in japanese culture. The western concept of god is not universal; it def should not be randomly applied to every culture.

4. The Peanut Monster

The Peanut Monster New Member

God is not a Western concept...

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

By definition, the religious epistemology does not answer to reason or logic. May as well ask where Cain's wife came from. ;) Within the epistemology of religion, inconsistencies in the canon are usually dealt with under the monicker of mystery ("We don't know. It's a mystery of god.") and if anything, serves to bolster the belief in the epistemological dynamic by introducing elements of an esoteric nature. This is the cue for the creation of clergy, the ones who interpret or explain the "mysteries".

6. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

My guess would be, they borrowed some from all the humans who never used theirs?

I don't look for consistency or logic, in the Bible :). If God knows every hair on my head and all of what will happen to me, I wonder why God told Moses he needed to circumcise his children and all the males in his household (you did NOT want to be one of Moses' slaves, that week, I bet), so God would know them, when they came to heaven?

Clearly you take your wiener to heaven, with you, when you die? That's a warning, not to get unfortunate or misspelled tattoos (which are also forbidden in the bible).

7. stanislav

stanislav New Member

Japanese have myths, so how they couldn't have a religion? Now, you can write about everything, not topic is the thing that matters. If you have couple of pages ready to be shown, I would like to see whether you writing is literature or phiosophy.

8. Wreybies

Purely out of curiosity, no sarcasm, what if his writing has philosophical undertones or even overt overtones?

9. stanislav

stanislav New Member

Many good novels have plisophical undertones. In my opinion, when one tries to deal with meaning of life in novel, one should know wgere the border between plisophy and propaganda is.

10. Wreybies

And if it does cross into propaganda? Could not Tolkien's use of LotR as parable of the changes he saw happening to the England he knew be thought of as propaganda? He makes it very clear in his books that he sees the Industrial Revolution as the harbinger of tremendous evil to the pastorally idyllic land he grew up in. The indictment he makes is scathing to the trained reader. Is this not propaganda?

11. Godot

Godot New Member

Literature...the story has little philosphical undertones but I can see how someone would see it that way
    I am a japanese speaker they have religion however the concepts are difficult to translate. For example the word "kami" is usually translated as "god" or even a "spirit" neither translations are accurate. I tried to post a link to explain this concept but I cant :(

12. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

Sure, why not?

However, the concept is hardly original, considering gods were antagonists in many Greek and Roman myths...

13. stanislav

stanislav New Member

I am not familiar with Tolkien's work. I can see your point, but this is still shaky ground for me. I would prefer to see Godot engaging the utilisation of God by men. Fight the church, any of those monotheistic politically - business institution, there is always lot to tell about them.

14. Godot

Godot New Member

I cant really go with anti institutionalism because for the most part religion doesnt exist in the world of my book.

15. Justin Ladobruk

Justin Ladobruk Active Member

16. stanislav

stanislav New Member

Right. I gave some more thinking to the topic. God, if we accept He exist, is unchangeable, so what could one write about it but state the obvious? Church, on the other hand, could be praised or blamed for sharing, distorting, misusing... God's word.
    During the process, I believe is totally OK to express the angriness to God as well. Knowing we are not happy and most of the things go wrong way, He might finally do something.