1. jimboa26

jimboa26 New Member

Can't Make A New Topic In The Novel Forum

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by jimboa26, Mar 11, 2011.

Hi...I can make new threads in the other subforums, but for some reason I can't post a sample chapter from my novel in the "Novel" forum...I can't find any info on this. Can anyone tell me what's up?

2. bekajoi

bekajoi New Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    I get a notice saying I'm unable to make a post in the Short Stories area right now too. I certainly have plenty of critiques already, so I'm not sure why I'd have been locked out or anything... Maybe it's a site-in-progress thing? But then, you could start one out here, and I can reply to it. Hmm...

3. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

If you already have two constructive reviews, maybe talk to a moderator and ask them what the problem is. I never had that problem though.

4. jimboa26

jimboa26 New Member

I don't have any reviews of my work yet; I'm still new here. I'm looking to post a sample chapter and get some reviews.

5. bekajoi

bekajoi New Member

I've got at least 7-8... No thread of mine was ever locked either. One of the 8 might have been removed from someone else's thread that got locked, though... but I definitely have enough critiques to add one more thing. In the last week, even. Hmm.

6. bekajoi

bekajoi New Member

I guess my question would be... if I have reviewed several pieces in the past week for others, and I'm still being locked out right this minute, how recently (number of days?) do those critiques have to be made for a new post to be created?

I certainly have no issues with critiquing more. I was going to post this thing I've spent the last few days mired in, then get out of my little box and critique more today, anyway.

But is there a time frame around a new post in that section that needs to be adhered to? I had not seen one, so that would be good to know. :) Thanks!

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Daniel has changed the site somewhat, overnight.

The major change is that in order to make a thread in the review room, you need not only to have made two constructive reviews, but also to have made 20 posts overall (not including posts in Word Games) and have been a member for 14 days.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused, but these changes are aimed at cutting down on the volume of "three post wonders" we moderators have to shut down in the review room.

8. bekajoi

bekajoi New Member

No worries! It makes perfect sense to me, just was a little confused at first! I can certainly hold off on making new posts in there for a while longer. :)

So, are the current posts that are up by those of us who have already posted going to be locked in the meantime? Or are they going to remain open?

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

No, they'll remain open, provided that they've met the review requirements (which yours have). We're not going to enforce the new rule retrospectively :)

(Actually, the whole idea is that it's automatic, and moderators don't have to enforce it at all. It's just another level of dissuasion for non-reviewers who just want to post their own stuff, and meaning that the number of cases in which moderators actually have to take action will be drastically reduced. It's been a quiet day for me, and so far I'm loving it!)

10. bekajoi

bekajoi New Member

Yeah, I noticed you'd been busy, earlier in the week. The quiet will be nice, for sure. Give you time to do other things you'd rather be doing instead.

Thanks for the info! :)

11. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I like this new rule.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, we'll STILL have to check critiques for quality, but we should get a HUGE reduction in the number of slapdash comments from new members trying to do just enough to be allowed to post their writiing. They'll have to actually spend enough time here they'll have no excuse for not knowing the requirements.

But yeah, I've been lobbying for something like the new system for a couple years. :)

It may seem more restrictive, but overall, I think it will reduce the frustration level. For everyone, not just the moderators!

13. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Ah, good! Excellent idea.

14. Ion

Ion New Member

I was about to ask this same question. Maybe this thread should be stickied?

15. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I just made an annoucement about this change. It should help discourage hasty "reviews" and new members who's only goal is to showcase their writing.

16. MidnightPhoenix

MidnightPhoenix New Member

thanks for the infor!

17. Terri

Terri New Member

Great idea.