1. Lady Marmalade

Lady Marmalade Member

Suggestions for magical weapon name?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Lady Marmalade, Sep 19, 2015.

Hey y'all :)

So I have a big favour to ask in regards to my story. Any help would be very much appreciated so thank you for dropping in and lending a hand.

Now in my novel there are six magical weapons that are in the possession of six other characters. Physically these weapons resemble regular weapons like a sword or an axe but the difference is that they are living entities that serve their master.

These weapons are soul bound to a master of their choosing and cannot be used by anyone else until their master dies. They can communicate telepathically with their master but no one else, and they have magical powers like fireballs and lighting bolts.

Also when a master is chosen the master gets a rune on their hand to represent the loyalty of the weapon so other people know that the person possesses one of these magical weapons.

I really need a name for these weapons other than "magical weapons". I have names for each one individually but as a whole I don't know what to call them.

If you have any ideas don't be afraid to put them down, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

2. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

Who named them? Are they fabled relics? Or are they some new discovery, or novel magical technology?

Do you want the collective name to gel with the individual names? If so, an indication of the latter may be necessary. Personally, I'd like a magical lance called Sally. Or Fred for a male.

Lady Marmalade likes this.
  3. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

You could always make up your own word to describe them? Think of two good describing words and do what I did.
    Magical + Weapon =
    • Weapon
    • Magipon
    • Icalapon (ooh this sounds kind of intriguing)
    • Mawea
    • Weama
    Or not even going with the combining words, just think of random sounds of things that might work anyway.
    • Raunton
    • Lopotist
    • Terataenin
    • Etherlock
    • Darademek
    • Daem
    • Madeok
    • Madepm
    • Nicoel
    • Forwri
    • (I can always come up with more ;) )
    There's always the option of finding a word like "protector" and translating it using google to another language. That always sounds fancy to us English speakers.

4. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

The most common form of naming in this sense is to pick a word that works for them and then look up that word in another language. So it sounds cool.

Though if they are old or named by someone that likes history there is fabled weapons with names.

Three Japanese ones for example. They also were named by words with a unique terms in relation to them.

Yawarakai-Te : Tender Hands

Juuchi Yosamu : 10,000 Cold Nights

Tonbokiri : Dragonfly Cutter

5. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

That sounds pretty cool. I like '-lock' because it alludes to how they're soul-bound to their users. How about Runelock?

Lady Marmalade and Nicoel like this.
  6. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

I like this a lot!

7. Lady Marmalade

Lady Marmalade Member

Lol, that made me think of a magical twin sword duo named Fred and George XP Now that would be sweet.

As for the weapons themselves they're a recent discovery, no one really knows where they came from or how long they've been around but the news of their existence has travelled very quickly throughout the land and they're feared/wanted by many because of the mystery surrounding the weapons.

I don't think it's necessary for the collective name to gel with their individual names, their individual names are more representative of their philosophies and values and gives people a good indication of what kind of person the weapon would choose as a master.

Also as a side note, the weapons themselves have no gender because they're not human, they're weapons and as such they don't have any shallow biases towards who could be their master. They choose based on the person's goals, ideals, and personality rather than appearances or stereotyping because they have no concept of human stigmatization.

WHOA! I'm definitely going to go through this list with a fine toothed comb, those are a lot of possibilities. Awesome stuff! Thank you so much :D

8. Lady Marmalade

Lady Marmalade Member

Yes I agree, Google Translate is my friend... how I've neglected it so *sad violin music*
    By the way I love the Japanese names, especially the meanings behind them they've got a poetic feel to them.

Runelock... hmm I like it, it definitely matches with how they work and it sounds pretty cool. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely consider it :D

9. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

seventhsanctum.com has the following suggestions
    Aquabreaker
    Battlekris
    Coldclub
    Cyberwing
    Electrosphere
    Fearkiller
    Glorymasher
    Hellmace
    Infoaxe
    Laserpike
    Lashpike
    Lashzooka
    Magnovolgue
    Materiahunter
    Netseeker
    Rayaxe
    Rockglaive
    Shadowburner
    Shockhammer
    Shotgun
    Sonicspinner
    Taserspear
    Technoberd
    Terratrapper
    Wingstopper

I personally could go with "fearkiller," but the "infoaxe" also sounder terrifying.

10. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Here's 25 more,
    Acidwhipper
    Beamslasher
    Bidriver
    Demimaster
    Electrowhipper
    Flailaxe
    Hexashooter
    Hyperrifle